• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phi Kai

Hello,

I recently got a job working for my university's IT department. We have some terrible computers that break down quite frequently. I spend most Fridays getting about 6 computers back up and running that died during the week.

Most of is it easy fixes, things that need to be named, hard drives that need new images, etc etc.

However, We do have a few computers with motherboard failure. With that being said we have done some replacements (no big deal), but these are costing around 120-160 per motherboard from the OEM manufacturer. I'm trying to find out if there is a company that will diagnose and repair all functions of the motherboard. I know there are a couple guys around that do bad cap replacement, but that is not the issue with these.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Thanks

Kai

$120-160 for an OEM board is pretty stiff. I'm guessing you can't replace these with a standard ATX board? I would say diagnosing a motherboard would be a pretty expenseive venture, you're probably better off just buying another board. (Or looking for a different place to buy the OEM boards)

Phi Kai said:
Hello,

I recently got a job working for my university's IT department. We have some terrible computers that break down quite frequently. I spend most Fridays getting about 6 computers back up and running that died during the week.

Most of is it easy fixes, things that need to be named, hard drives that need new images, etc etc.

However, We do have a few computers with motherboard failure. With that being said we have done some replacements (no big deal), but these are costing around 120-160 per motherboard from the OEM manufacturer. I'm trying to find out if there is a company that will diagnose and repair all functions of the motherboard. I know there are a couple guys around that do bad cap replacement, but that is not the issue with these.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Thanks

Kai

I'm just making an educated guess, but the kind of service you're talking about would likely cost a lot more money than buying new OEM boards. Hourly rates for such a technician will easily top $100 (probably approaching $150 or more), and it can take quite a while to diagnose a problem. And what if it turns out to be non-repairable problem? Also, the testing after the repair is very time consuming. Even a highly skilled and knowledgeable tech may need to invest several hours into a repair.

Long story short, it's much, much better just to buy the replacement boards. The cost seems high, but it's fixed and known. Really, most computer hardware is disposable - once it breaks it's better to replace than to attempt repairs in 99.99% of cases. Of course, I'm only talking about actual hardware failures.

eBay and OEM surplus outlets is where I'd start looking. Find one that's willing to work with you and is reputable and just go from there.

If these are all OEM-based systems that you're replacing boards for, they're obviously older and out-of-warranty. New OEM systems can be had for barely double what you're paying now.

Back