• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you know the CPU is really dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ech0

Registered
I have a CPU, i can turn on the power but nothing on the display.
Is the CPU dead?

That's one possibility. You could try another CPU to confirm. Might try clearing the CMOS first. Could also be a host of other problems. Get any beeps? Have you made any other hardware changes? What hardware do you have? Need information.

Hmm.

You would reset the cmos remove everything not needed including PCI slots etc seeing if it works then testing it out at a local store..

I'm pretty sure i burned my P4 last week. I smelled it and it definitley smells burnt! I know thats not the way to test it but it worked for me. By the way my board never beeped or gave any kind of warning what so ever. It just never turned on the next day.

When i turn on, No beep. only sound of the cooler fan, and memory counter. But my monitor just blank(orange light/standby status).
I have no other motherboard to try it on. :(
Hope it's not dead.

ech0 said:
When i turn on, No beep. only sound of the cooler fan, and memory counter. But my monitor just blank(orange light/standby status).
I have no other motherboard to try it on. :(
Hope it's not dead.

Try bringing it to a local store for testing.

dead celly 900?????

I have a celly 900 that when I turn the pc on, I just get a long beeeeeeeeeeeeep pause beeeeeeeeeeeeeep what error code is this????

i was reinstalling my waterblock and 1 of the pads on my cpu fell off and i lost it....so i figured it was ok and i put the waterblock on anyway and when i booted up...nothing. my heart started raceing and i took out the cpu, and sure enough i chipped the core on the corner of the side where the pad fell off, well to make a long story short i ended up shorting out my powersupply (dunno how) so i put another one in and everything worked fine including the chip that is cracked (thank you god). i know how you feel, its the worst feeling in the world. Good luck

Re: dead celly 900?????

srv540 said:
I have a celly 900 that when I turn the pc on, I just get a long beeeeeeeeeeeeep pause beeeeeeeeeeeeeep what error code is this????

You'll need to know what BIOS you have. Then check here. I had one like that yesterday on an Award BIOS and it was memory. Double check against their list, though.

Back