• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

College help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

night8jim

Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me on here, i need help with some questions i got in my work this week.

Here they are;

Which networking devices offers the greatest latency, need to say two?

What layer does a router work at when deciding wat port to send packets out of ?

It would be a great help if anyone could help me on here :) thx alot

Also,
try to rephrase your questions for google. I just changed the wording around and got at least a full page of results for networking layers.

FireMogle said:
Also,
try to rephrase your questions for google. I just changed the wording around and got at least a full page of results for networking layers.

Thx alot guys, the only thing that i not sure about, is that a switch works at layer 3, however i am sure that when workinbg out which port to send out it uses a protocol that works at a differant layer, am i correct?

thx

Most switches work at the layer 2 level (forwarding tables are developed according to MAC address). Layer 3 switches are mostly routers with hardware to manage what a router's software would normally do at a LAN level. A layer 3 switch will often be mistaken for a router because they do much of the same, with the switch not having WAN ports.

While layer 2 switches are predominant, they are making way for smarter and faster layer 3.

Jon said:
Most switches work at the layer 2 level (forwarding tables are developed according to MAC address). Layer 3 switches are mostly routers with hardware to manage what a router's software would normally do at a LAN level. A layer 3 switch will often be mistaken for a router because they do much of the same, with the switch not having WAN ports.

While layer 2 switches are predominant, they are making way for smarter and faster layer 3.

thats really gd, thx alot for that.

cheers for the advice one agian

Back