• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTX in SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cc3d

Registered
I have had the following configuration working well for a while;

c2d e6600
eVGA 680i motherboard
2 x 1Gb Crucial Tracer PC2-8000 RAM
8800GTX (1)
SFC 650w PSU

Just added second 8800GTX for SLI as well as a BFG 1Kw PSU and I am having this issue:

When I boot up with both cards installed, the NVidia control panel will NOT launch. I get an error with the .exe file execution. I can, in no way, get the NVidia control panel to come up. The system comes up in SLI mode and the only way to get the system out of SLI is to power-down and remove the SLI Bridge.

When I take card number 2 out, the system comes up as before and the NVidia control panel works fine.

I swapped the new card with the first card and started the system up with just the new card and the system worked fine as before.

I swapped the cards around in SLI configuration and get the same issue with the NVidia control panel.

I did uninstall and reinstall the NVidia drivers and NVidia NTune software.

Same situation when I swap in my Vista Ultimate(32) drive.

Has anybody had this problem?

Any insight?

thanks.

------------------
c2d e6600
eVGA 680i motherboard
2 x 1Gb Crucial Tracer PC2-8000 RAM
8800GTX (2)
WinXP / Win Vista Ult(32)
BFG 1Kw PSU

def sounds screwy, I would suspect drivers but if you uninstalled, you may try uninstalling nvidia soft, running drivercleaner, then reinstalling or it may be ps related and that ps just isn't cutting it. I know anytime I've added a 2nd card, it always acts crazy unless I used drivercleaner, won't load windows fully, have to boot to safe mode, uninstall and such.

1. Research power units before you buy. That "thing" will take your system out sooner or later. Pick up an enhance or at LEAST an OCZ(only if you are short on funds)

I wouldn't suggest big enhance OEM or OCZ units right now..

Silverstone ZF series, large Ultra units, Zippy..

Going from 1 8800 to an 8800 SLI configuration would not require the use of driver cleaner. You could just put in the second enable SLI and go. the problem sounds like a PSU issue.

Back