• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else lusting for Bear Lake based Intel Extreme Edition m/b?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odditory

Registered
I know its old news but I haven't seen much talk of the Intel 'Bear Lake' chipset that's supposedly debuting in the next 3-6 months. All I can say is *DROOL* Anyone else ready to snap this up when it debuts? Now that Intel is in the 'enthusiast' market with their D975XBX2 and I absolutely love mine (absolutely hated Intel boards prior except for end users since they're rock-solid but don't overclock or do anything fun) I can't wait to see specs for the BearLake based 'extreme edition' motherboard Intel has in the works.

QUOTE from another site: "Intel 'Bear Lake' aka X38 is the enthusiast top notch chipset scheduled for a Q3 2007 introduction. This is intended to replace the 975X chipset. It served us well but it lived too long. It cannot support DDR 2 memory at 1066, and we see that as a problem for enthusiasts. It supports PCIe 2.0, 2x16 PCIe graphic slots, DDR 3 memory at 1333 and a Quad core support. The high end chipset supports DDR 3 memory only so Intel wants to start the migration to DDR 3 only. It works matched with ICH9, ICH9R or ICH9DH"

The tough part for people will be the migration to DDR3... DDR2 is just getting where it needs to be, and now we'll have to start all over again, but I'm hoping I can get my hands on one and at least play with it and see if its worth the hype...

DDR3? What a pain. I do want the chipset, but getting new RAM sounds so so lame. Especially if the new memory isn't even faster than current DDR2. I'll probably wait and see what the reviews and others here think of it before I drop the coin.

odditory said:
You mean like DDR3 @ 1333MHz with a CAS of 9-9-9-5 eh..

I don't think it will be quite that bad, although I have seen specs of DDR3-1600 at that latency :p

DDR3 will come into its own, just as DDR2 did.

If it doesn't that means, Intel will be broke.

I'll see if my P5B-D will support 45nm Penryns first. It's already easily capable of 1333 FSB so I don't see that as a worthwhile feature on its own. Eventually I may go to one of the new platforms but when it comes out :shrug: probably not.

MadMan007 said:
I'll see if my P5B-D will support 45nm Penryns first. It's already easily capable of 1333 FSB so I don't see that as a worthwhile feature on its own. Eventually I may go to one of the new platforms but when it comes out :shrug: probably not.

Me too. I didn't migrate to ddr2 until I got my core2 system in november. 2 gig of ddr2 is commonplace now. I guess 4gig of ddr3 will be commonplace in a year or so. But who knows?

Evilsizer said:
if you got money you can get a es

965xe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116248

x6800/qx6700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01157 40000343 1050722264&name=Core 2 Extreme

these have unlocked multis just like ES cpus and are ID'd in cpu-z as ES's.

Not all ES chips have unlocked multis... i've seen several ES E6700s come my way from the intel loaner program ( lol, not into my possesion :p ) that have had multis locked just like the retails.

~ Gos

Goshawk said:
Not all ES chips have unlocked multis... i've seen several ES E6700s come my way from the intel loaner program ( lol, not into my possesion :p ) that have had multis locked just like the retails.

~ Gos
hmm my understanding from what i read the cpu's i listed have unlocked multis....maybe the source got it wrong...

Evilsizer said:
hmm my understanding from what i read the cpu's i listed have unlocked multis....maybe the source got it wrong...

Well, the CPUs you listed were retail extreme parts with unlocked multis, i was just saying that not all ES chips have unlocked multipliers.

~ Gos

Back