• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Please excuse my noobness, but I was wondering if one of you pros can tell me step by step how I can successfully replace my Geforce4 TI 4400 128 MB video card with a ATI Radeon 9250 256mb card that my brother gave me. Both are PCI. What are the steps to delete the drivers, etc. so that I don't mess up my PC.

Thanks in advance!

Val

-download the new ATI drivers
-download Driver Cleaner Link
-Install Driver Cleaner
-Unistall old nVidia Drivers
-reboot
-run driver clean to get rid of nvidia video drivers, shut it down
-install new card
-install drivers

Just to add, are you sure that the TI4400 is PCI? I could have sworn they only made that for AGP? Maybe you have the MX440?

Either way good luck

Bryan d

If you're installing a 9250 don't run anything higher than the 6.11 Catalyst drivers as the newer sets don't support older ATI cards.

YOu are right, it is AGP. Does the ATI Radeon 9250 support Shader 2.0 and greater? I'm trying to play the MMO Vanguard and it requires a video card that supports Shader 2.0 or greater. I currently have the Geforce4 TI4400, but that card doesn't meet the game's requirements.

Also, is AGP being phased out and replaced with PCI Express x16? All the new MB's I see have this slot.

Yes AGP is being phased out, so you need a new motherboard to use the newer graphics cards. There are still a handful of AGP cards still coming out from nVidia based off the 7 series (7800...) but that's going to be the last of them.

Springbok said:
There are still a handful of AGP cards still coming out from nVidia based off the 7 series (7800...) but that's going to be the last of them.
Well, those and the x1950Pro's from ATI. But yeah, they're on their way out.

Val155 said:
Does the ATI Radeon 9250 support Shader 2.0 and greater?
Unfortunately, according to GPUReview the 9250 only supports shader model 1.4 and directx 8.1 (which is about standard for the 9000->9200 series ATI cards).

Damn...so it looks like if i want to play this game then i'm gonna have to build a new PC.... not happenin, at least for now. Thanks all for the feedback!

You could pick up something like a geforce 6200 PCI on ebay (avoid anything that's marked "turbocache" though). It wouldn't perform extraordinarily well but it'd run slightly better than the 9250 would. You could also get a geforce fx 5500 or 5600 PCI version. Again, the performance wouldn't be stellar, but it'd work.

Back