• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AW9D additional cooling for Chipset??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

projectrps13

Registered
Anyone have additional cooling for their Chipset on this board? Or is the Silent Otes stuff sufficient for cooling the chipset. I'm paranoid about cooling and wanted to know if anyone thought additional cooling was neccesary on these boards.

I run an AW8D with pretty much the same cooling setup and it gets really hot. My current cpu has never gone over 3.7 so I can't say if the chipset heat is effecting my overclock but I think its too hot. However at its current temps I have a feeling that it will effect the overclock when I put a better cpu in. At my current settings I can't even keep my finger there for a second after using the pc for a while which to me means its not enough so the next time I have the pc apart to switch the cpu out I am changing the cooling to active. Not sure which though, I might add it to my water loop.

projectrps13 said:
Anyone have additional cooling for their Chipset on this board? Or is the Silent Otes stuff sufficient for cooling the chipset. I'm paranoid about cooling and wanted to know if anyone thought additional cooling was neccesary on these boards.

I didn't even bother with running it at stock...got the board, ripped the northbridge heatsink off (+heatpipe) and watercooled the cpu/nb.

The took the heatsinks off removed the thermal rubbish they had under there put some AS5 under the heatsinks and placed a 40mm sunon fan on my nb and mosfet heatsink no probs with temps now.

30c or just under most of the time, Adding a fan to your northbridge is a fast and easy way to help cool it, I havent done it myself though as I'm using a SI-128 with a big @SS fan.
And the whole thing over hangs the northbridge so it get more cfm's than any fan I could fit on.
Putting AS5 under them (as above) would all so help, think I may do that next time I have it out.

projectrps13 said:
My system temp stays pretty solid at 34C, what is everyone elses?

But remember, with this board, the system temp is NOT the northbridge temp, just what temp is inside your case.

Yes.. but the system temp is the closest thing you have to the NB temp, right?? Or is that not correct on this board?

projectrps13 said:
Yes.. but the system temp is the closest thing you have to the NB temp, right?? Or is that not correct on this board?

No matter how much I stress the northbridge, I can never get that temp to rise more than a couple degrees celcius. So to answer your question, I don't they are near each other...but I would like to find out where it is though....

I was reading on the Abit forums and apparently the system temperature sensor is located next to the uGuru chip.

Last edited:
projectrps13 said:
I was reading on the Abit forums and apparently the system temperature sensor is located next to the uGuru chip.

I still don't understand why they don't have a chipset temp...grr

All this talk about NB temps got me paranoid so this past weekend I purchased a 40mm fan and some arctic thermal epoxy. Mounted the fan on top of the NB heatsink with the epoxy and zip tied it on until the epoxy dried. Looking good now.

Back