• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dazed0119

I have never played with over clocking anything and need some help with what to do and what settings would be Ideal if possible. Hardware is listed below.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 48 CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Socket 775 Intel ATX Motherboard

Memory: GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GX22GB6400UDCA= - Retail

Case: Antec P180B with 3 120mm fans

power supply: 550w Antec true power trio

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it all depends
are you going to try and push it to the limits or just a comfortable overclock

im assuming the latter (edit: at first spelled latter like the thing you climb up, whoops)
i plan on building a comp with an e6600 but since i dont have one I cant be of too much help but i can suggest googling and searching these forums, im pretty sure you will find something

Last edited:
I want something stable, as I plan on gamign on this setup, But I have read reviews and what not about people getting this thing up as high as 3.4 on the freaking stock fan... SO kind of curious how high I can realistically go with this setup, and still be stable and not damage anything.

raise the fsb in small increments and check stability each time. When iy becomes unstable bump up the vcore a notch and check stability. Keep doing this until your load temps hit high 50s Celsius, that's where I stop.

What effect will this have on my memory? When I up the FSB will it OC the mem as well? And will I need ot up the voltage on it as well?

adjusting the cpu doesnt adjust your memory at all

i dont think you'll need to adjust your memory at 3.4 personally, but you may try adjusting them if you go higher than 3.4

also, make sure that in the bios the ram is doing what the specs are for it(timing, voltage, etc)

I suggest reading up and learning more about RAM

Last edited:
well woca adjusting the cpu through fsb deffinetly has an effect on the memory!!

Adjusting the FSB will certainly affect the R.A.M.

The the FSB is rasied to overclock the CPU, it causes the R.A.M to run at a faster rate, and therefore some R.A.M will not be able to handle this increase in speed.

Good overclockers R.A.M will be able to run at faster speeds, but to compensate for this the timing of the R.A.M will be increased and can cause the R.A.M to perform less well.

For the motherboard I have EVGA 680i, the R.A.M and the FSB can be run asynchronously which means that raising the FSB will not affect the R.A.M.

Andy

Well, to run your CPU at 3.4ghz with a 4:5 FSB:RAM ratio you'll need to run your RAM at about 500mhz. I'm not sure how Geil OC's, but I haven't heard much about them and OCing... If they really can't handle it you could just run the ratio at a 1:1 (making the RAM 377mhz) which will actually be under-clocking the RAM, but you probably couldn't see a difference.

Ok no clue what I am doing wrong here. I run CPU-Z and it shows my speed bouncing between 2g and 3ghz basically. What would cause this?

So currently I am running 325 x9 and it says the ram is at 815. ANy ideas on what I can do better?

If your speed is randomly jumping around on a dual core: disable speed-stepping in the bios as it could be the multi going down to preserves power.

I have looked around in the Bios and I do not see anything resembling speed stepping

EC8 said:
well woca adjusting the cpu through fsb deffinetly has an effect on the memory!!

i know it effects it, but it doesnt change your RAM settings

Back