• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

Ok the budget is $470 shiped for all the parts. I cant get any more than that.

Heres what i got that can be used.

BFG 6800GS unlocked to 16/6 with Xcelero
1 gig 2X 512mb pc3200
HDD
FPS 450 watt
Case
Water cooling set up

So im looking to upgrade from socket 754. So what would give me the most ang for my buck why still in my price range? Also i game at 1024X768

The best option is to upgrade to Core 2 Duo. A E6300 will be about 185 and Asus P5B is 120. Unfortunately, you will need DDR2 Ram, but you can get 2GB of OCZ platinum for about 170. That all brings the total up to 475.

I would just save your money. C2D price drops are coming in April and perhaps you can save up some more cash for a nice full upgrade.

The latest tech will not let you use an AGP card and DDR memory. The only thing I can see to do if you want to keep those is go with an Intel 775 motherboard like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131029

Then splurge on the processor and get an E6400 for $222 for a total of $283 shipped.

The board will not be a great overclocker but will take your old memory and vid card. Eventually you could upgrade with a better mobo, new RAM, and a PCI-e video card.

Back