• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling setup suggestions and concerns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dvanlinge

Registered
Hi,
I just put together my first water cooled setup and was wondering if anyone had any comments or concerns on the way I set it up.

Here is my setup:
1) Starting at the Pump (DD-D5)
2) the CPU (DD-TDX for 775 intel)
3) the NB (DD-ASUS A8N MAZE4 Chipset Block)
4) the VR (Alphacool Heattrap RegCooler Asus SLI)
5) 2nd VR (Alphacool Heattrap RegCooler Asus SLI)
6) RAD1 Thermochill pa120.1
7) the SB (DD-ASUS A8N MAZE4 Chipset Block)
8) GPU 1 (DD-8800GTX-PC)
9) GPU 2 (DD-8800GTX-PC)
10) RAD2 Thermochill pa120.3
11) the Reservoir (XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Black)
12) back to the pump #1

There is also a fill port that is y'd into the line going from RAD2 to the Reservoir

Rad1 is hanging on the back at the normal rear exhaust with a 120mm fan pulling air through it and Rad2 is mounted to the top of the case with 3 120mm fans pulling air through it, the pump is at the base of the case and the Reservoir is in the middle drive bay. This is all in a Lian-li PC-G70B case

Last edited:
dvanlinge said:
Hi,
I just put together my first water cooled setup and was wondering if anyone had any comments or concerns on the way I set it up.

Here is my setup:
1) Starting at the Pump (DD-D5) it goes to
the CPU (DD-TDX for 775 intel)

Lol, we need more details to help you out. If you could post full system specs, including what case you have, we would be able to help you much more! :)

dvanlinge said:
Hi,

Here is my setup:
1) Starting at the Pump (DD-D5)
2) the CPU (DD-TDX for 775 intel)
3) the NB (DD-ASUS A8N MAZE4 Chipset Block)
4) the VR (Alphacool Heattrap RegCooler Asus SLI)
5) 2nd VR (Alphacool Heattrap RegCooler Asus SLI)
6) RAD1 Thermochill pa120.1
7) the SB (DD-ASUS A8N MAZE4 Chipset Block)
8) GPU 1 (DD-8800GTX-PC)
9) GPU 2 (DD-8800GTX-PC)
10) RAD2 Thermochill pa120.3
11) the Reservoir (XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Black)
12) back to the pump #1

There is also a fill port that is y'd into the line going from RAD2 to the Reservoir

Rad1 is hanging on the back at the normal rear exhaust with a 120mm fan pulling air through it and Rad2 is mounted to the top of the case with 3 120mm fans pulling air through it, the pump is at the base of the case and the Reservoir is in the middle drive bay. This is all in a Lian-li PC-G70B case
Why two radiators? I'd just go with one...

Also, kill the reservoir, just use a t-line, much cleaner.

And do you really need to cool the VR and SB? I've yet to see a reason to watercool those...

WOW thast alot inside the case Post a pic if you can I would liek to see that .

I cant really see a prob with what you have if it is working run with it .

Thanks,
The reason for the reservoir is so I can keep an eye on the fluid level without opening the case and the same for the fill port, so I can add liquid without opening the case. The reason I added the pa120.1 is to remove some of the heat before going into the 2 GPU's as they were each running in the 85c range and now they are 40-50c range at load. is there any software that will display the SB,NB,VReg temps? otherwise I have some probes but I am not sure where you would place them to get the most acurate reading?

dvanlinge said:
Thanks,
The reason for the reservoir is so I can keep an eye on the fluid level without opening the case and the same for the fill port, so I can add liquid without opening the case. The reason I added the pa120.1 is to remove some of the heat before going into the 2 GPU's as they were each running in the 85c range and now they are 40-50c range at load. is there any software that will display the SB,NB,VReg temps? otherwise I have some probes but I am not sure where you would place them to get the most acurate reading?

Here is a pic of mine:

IMG_0635.jpg

You can see that the t-line goes to the top, and you can also see how full it is from outside the case via the door.

I don't have a window in my case as it is on the floor in between my desk and a file cabinet... so I would have to pull it out and open the side to see the tubing if I didn't have the reservoir... your's looks so clean compared to mine... I have hoses going all over with all of the blocks connected...

dvanlinge said:
I don't have a window in my case as it is on the floor in between my desk and a file cabinet... so I would have to pull it out and open the side to see the tubing if I didn't have the reservoir... your's looks so clean compared to mine... I have hoses going all over with all of the blocks connected...
Hmm, with those circumstances, I'd go with a reservoir...

clean set-up man.

is that a pci fan controller? looks cool.

if your worried about water levels dropping, just make sure the drain port is really tight and you'll be fine. my water level dropped like.. 4 inches in a week, then i realized my drain port was loose, so i tightened it up and the past couple of months or so it hasn't dropped at all.

but if your really worried you can get a massive reservior.

darkcow said:
clean set-up man.

is that a pci fan controller? looks cool

Thanks! :bday:

Yes, it is the Sunbeam Theta controller, good hardware, bad software, works awesome though

so what kind of temps should I be getting?

Here is my setup: I am running the Asus Striker Extreme MB with Quad Core 2.66Ghz QX6700 Overclocked to 3.52Ghz | Pc Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR | 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D | 2 x EVGA 8800GTX KO ACS3 | 2 x WD Raptor 74gb (raid 0) | 4 x 250gb DiamondMax (raid 0) | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit | 2 x Plextor 740a DVD-RW | Dell 24" Widescreen Flatpanel | Klipsch 5.1 surround speakers

also i don't know how to measure the temps on the NB,SB, and VReg's anyone know how?

Back