• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" - Need Audio Drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiT

Hey guys & gals,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get my onboard sound to work properly on this board (Intel D975XBX, rev304). Hopefully some one can hook me up with what I'm hoping may work...

If anyone could either send or direct me somewhere to help download some old audio drivers for this board, it would be much appreciated! If you have the retail CD maybe or saved some drivers for your next rebuild...
Please PM me and I can send you my FTP info.

----------------------------------------
For anyone wondering what the issue is:
[I'm running XP SP2 btw]
My onboard sound is not working correctly. I can only get sound out of the main channel (green plug) or the headphone jack in the front. No matter what speaker configuration I tell my audio GUI to adopt, it does not seem to make a difference. Sound comes out only from the front-speaker (green) jack and nothing else.

Oddly enough, if you use the speaker config in windows: Control Panel -> Sound & Audio, and then under Speaker Settings, hit the advanced button to choose your speaker config. After everytime that I run or open one of the audio GUI applications, this gets reset to "7.1 wide" speakers. I do not install any but one of the drivers at a time. I have formatted and done a fresh install as per Intel's recommened installation process each time to test a different driver.

There are four drivers for this board. 2 Intel GUI's and 2 Sigmatel GUI's. One set is for an HD front panel and the other set is for legacy AC'97-style front panels.

Out of the four drivers, 3 produce the same result, the only pseudo exception is the Sigmatel AC'97 driver. Oh and the only drivers that I have access to are the most rescent ones from Intel's site (5.10.5208).

So basically, I have a quatro system (4 satellite speakers, 1 sub - but just 2 channels req'd). The speakers work fine on any other system, so this is not the problem. All GUIs see whatever corresponding jacks are occupied by my speakers, so I know that the sound card can 'see' what is
plugged in; it seems funcitonal to a certain degree.

The one exception driver actually delivers sound from both channels! But it's 50% more quiet and the sound seems to float a little bit. Even more odd, if I am watching an encoded TV show or movie with these drivers... the dialogue of people's voices is quiet, but inserted sound like laughter or music (like in the intro) is SUPER LOUD.
So... I've also updated to the latest BIOS (1478), which totally stopped my system at first - I could not keep the same clock settings that I have reached with BIOS 1441. I have a completely stable 3.75GHz 6800XE o/c with 1441. And with this new update, I've noticed that Desktop Control Center will not run. Not like I really need it, but it makes me question what else won't work.
Well, Intel recommends that these drivers run with the latest BIOS, so I changed it and put everything back at its stock clocks... NO DIFFERENCE Sad

I have formatted so many times now trying to fix this. The only things that Intel has suggested that I have not done is try old drivers (the recommended the ones that came with the board on a CD - but I have never had that CD). That and some "patch" located on X: \software\Drivers\Audio\HDAQFE\win2k_xp\us

Apart from that, Intel suggested that board may be grounded somewhere... But I truely do not think that this is the case. I have seen boards grounded before and they mostly just do not work at all or randomly reset... or worse, spark to death Smile.

Sorry about the novel...

-Please help, anyone!
Thanks so much!

I have the factory discs, I'll put that file on my webspace for you...

Right click HERE and select save for the patch... It looks like a Windows XP patch of some sorts...

The drivers/install files are too large for my free bs webspace, but if you cant find them elsewere, let me know, and we'll figure out something...

Worst case, I can image the disc, and give you ftp access for a while...

Hey Rocinante,

Thanks for the quick response and for posting that file! I tried the patch, but no dice :cry:
It would be very much appreciated if you could hook me up with that disk! Your FTP or mine is fine, whatever is easiest for you, just let me know.

Out of 4 other forums that I've tried, this is the only response recieved and I can't thank you enough!

No problem man, there is nothing like fast help... I've been in your shoes before as well...

What format do you want the disc??? .ISO??

As far as the FTP goes, I haven't set up my FTP on my new server, so if yours is going, it would be faster for me to upload it to you...

Back