• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid question but still

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pacboy22 said:
i have a questionshould the fan blow air onto the heat sink or off of it?.

Physics dictates air pressure against an item dissipates more from the surface than air pressure being dragged away from the item.

Kinda hard to explain without formulas I don't know :). Just keep the air blowing ON the heatsink and you'll get max cooling 99% of the time.

ive tried but it seemed to make it worse not better it looks like its better of takin air of te heatsink not blowing air on it i dont know why though:confused:

It depends on the heatsink. Some are designed for the fan to blow and some for the fan to pull. I would say there are more that are designed to be blown on though.

PacBoy most of the heatsinks are meant to have the air blown on not sucked from.

What heatsink do you have?

Maybe your heatsink isn't taking in cool air and blowing hot air onto the heatsink maybe that's why it could be hotter.

Give us more details.

i have no idea what type of heatsink i have if you mean by what company its made but all i know is that its aluminum nad it has a everflow fan made to blow air off the heatsink and when i switched it around it became worse idont know mayb my fan wasnt meant for that or should i get a new cooling fan i dont know give me ur advice thanx

pacboy22 said:
i have no idea what type of heatsink i have if you mean by what company its made but all i know is that its aluminum nad it has a everflow fan made to blow air off the heatsink and when i switched it around it became worse idont know mayb my fan wasnt meant for that or should i get a new cooling fan i dont know give me ur advice thanx

We gave you tons whats the air flow like in your case?

air flow is fine everythiong is good but it heats up like crazy for some reason 88c even thought they say its not possibly thats what it says and it seems like it because the pc is running mad slow

88 Celius your chip will blow!

88 FH sounds right sorta..

Is it getting good contact to the chip? Using Artic Silver? Using a THIN layer?

pacboy22 said:
dont know what type it is its all original would you suggest me buying a new hsf and artic silver?

Wouldn't hurt. Would you mind taking the case side cover off and telling us the reported temp then? And that 88C: you're sure that C and not F? That's pretty amazing.

im absoulutly positive those are the temps and thats how they stay with or without the case beeing opened so i dont know whats the deal here and if some one here can explain to me what a Burn In is supossed to do to a cpu ? that would be nice than you in advance

WOW. 88C. That's amazing. If I were you, I would seriously bump down my voltage/speed IMMEADIATELY!!! Don't mean to yell at ya, but 88C is VERY high, most chips would fry in seconds at that heat. I'm very surprised it's stable there. I wouldn't burn in a CPU at those temps. They'll only rise higher and fry your CPU. You're absolutely positive that the temperature is being read in C and not F???

All HSF's are designed to have air blown on them except for Alphas, those are meant to have air sucked off of them. Just learned that last week, thanks to the LeufkenTechnologies website. They sell some good coolers there if you're looking at a new one. I think the URL is www.leufkentechnologies.com

now the core voltage is at 1.73 and in hardware sencor monitor it tells me that its wayy to high but i dont know how to change it and what to change it to so please help me if you can thanxc

pacboy22 said:
now the core voltage is at 1.73 and in hardware sencor monitor it tells me that its wayy to high but i dont know how to change it and what to change it to so please help me if you can thanxc

What processor is it?

pacboy22 said:
its a p4 1.5ghz with 384 ram

That's why it's running slow. The P4 throttles itself down when it gets too hot. If you bought this system preassembled, I'd take it back to them and ask 'em why it's running so hot AND make them fix it. If it was a self-build, you should check again to make sure your HSF is seated properly.

Anyone with a P4 step in and mention how well the stock HSF cools. I don't know, but I'd bet if properly installed it's supposed to be better than this. I'm also curious what the default vcore is for one of those. I'll check that shortly.

EDIT: Looks like it could be default of 1.7 or 1.75 so if your voltage is set around there, I'd say you definitely have a mounting issue with the HSF.

The voltage should be OK, the P4's either run @ 1.70 or 1.75 V.
I think the HSF isn't seated properly, does it have a 'thermal pad' on the HSF, cuz I think its a crappy HSF something like a Coolermaster.

Back