• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAiD 0 Transition.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MERKiN

Registered
Hello all, I just bought a P5B-Deluxe for some odd reason or another (it was soooo cheap at CompUSA so i had to grab it). Now, i am running a P5N32-Sli Deluxe, which is nvidia chipset. I am raiding thru nvidias raid controller (their bios, not windoze). I want to know.... can i transfer these 4 HDD's to this new machine without a hitch? Or am i SOL on that? I have 2x320's and 2x200's all in raid0. Thanks in advance guys. This is bugging me rofl, cause i dotn wanna lose my data. ha

You will have to back up that data, if you still want it. On the other hand, if you don't want to lose it, I'd strongly recommend a back up in any event.

If there different controllers in any way, the answer is a fat NO. If there the same exact controller, there is a slim chance. Like .01%?

However I would reccomend you back up the data prior to anything cause if the raid fails, your lose everything.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah thats gonna suck. It's died once before, and i went to raid 5 for a little bit, but the drives i had (at the time) were missmatched in size, so i went to raid 0 for maximum space / speed etc. Damn that sucks, welp... here goes backing up 975GB :bang head

ty

One more question: Is there a way to chkdsk individual drives within my raid? Vista seems to think one of my drives is going :eek: But XP doesnt seem to notice or care. So i wanted to chkdsk the specific drive.

Different controller, so big no no

Although nvidia controllers are backward compatible

My RAID here was made with an nforce 4 controller, when i moved it to my friend's computer which also had an nforce 4, but completely different board (DFI Lanparty to some Gigabyte one), it was instantly recognised

When i moved it again to my new nforce 680i controller, also instantly recognised

This is a plus for the nforce controllers, but they really arn't that great for RAID

CHKDSK will check volumes for errors and cannot do disks individually. You could try manufacturer's diagnostics, but this will normally require breaking the RAID volume. SMART will typically not function over RAID controllers either. The primary emphasis is that RAID 0 should not be used for storage, much less anything that you need to store securely. If you have any doubts about RAID 0 consistency, back up first, then bother with diagnostics.

Xaotic: Thats what I was thinking. I really don't have the space to back all this up again. I have that new board, which has 6 SATA slots on it (or 8 i can't really remember) which is a plus because I love tons of HDDs. However; My case can only hold... 6 HDDs. And I have 2 IDE drives right now. If I can afford, or scrounge up 1TB of HDD's I'll backup, and format each drive individually first, then reconfig for a raid (I'll have to consider RAiD 5 again, altho I'd have to have a homogenious mix of HDDs). Hmm... This is going to be a project.

when I transferred from an Asus A8N Sli Deluxe my two Raids (0 and 1 ) to this EVGA 680i didn't have any issues with them.. nforce controller of course...

then, it is because of backwards compatibility with controller right ? didn't know that...

Back