• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hardware failure somewhere?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anothermbdusted

ok i have a problem and i cant figure it out at all so if someone can give me a pointer i would appreciate it very much..

I am getting BSOD something to do with a hardware failure. i have done a test on the memory with memtest86, have run si sandra on cpu to stress it and also the hard drive and it completes no problems at all 30 minutes each..
windows xp did a hard drive check when it restarted and everything seemed to be good. what am i missing?

everything is at stock specs nothing over clocked at all..system temps are 78F for the system and 86F for the cpu and 34C for the video cards.

hows your windows going? is it slow old install, or fresh new install? try removing everything off the star up except anti virus. do a 2x prime, i don't like sandra's cpu thing.

its a fairly new install 1 month old and still goes like day one will try doing that and see what happens thanks

well i think i found out the problem not sure yet. tried the test and it fails and i get a error with long numbers so i called microsoft about it ( no help) and come to find out its a hard drive failure which one i didnt know but i unplugged my storage drive and it all seems to be good not no errors so now im going to replace the ide cable and see if thats it or if the drive is actually bad which would be weird cause its only 1.5 years old.

I would run a S.M.A.R.T test, then if it is bad then drop it on ebay, can get a replacement seagate 250GB open box for like $70 at new egg (SATA)

If the BSOD says "Hardware malfunction Please contact technical support." or similar, please check the jumpers and PCI devices!

That BSOD likely is because you were reinstalling Windows and the hardware detection process had a problem.

thats the funny thing ive been running this install of windows for about 3 months now and all of a sudden it started to have problems. but i have isolated the problem to be the hard drive i pretty sure as if i connect it to the system i get a bsod with in a few minutes and if its not connected then it runs perfect. so im just going to get a new storage drive..... thanks for the help ill keep it posted if i have any more problems but its been runnnning now for over 14 hours no problems at all.

Back