• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 64 vs. Sempron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSouthAzn

Registered
Hi,

Just wanted to know if there's a difference between the two chips besides 64-bit (which I really don't care for).

I wanted to buy this sempron 64 2800+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104244

But there are two reviews saying it's not actually a sempron 64 2800+, but a sempron 2800+. I heard semprons are striped down versions of Athlon XPs and sempron 64's are that of Athlon 64's, and since Athlon 64 > Athlon XP, isn't it true for the semprons also?

There's a legit Sempron 64 3000+ at newegg also, but it's only 128 l2 cache :-/

What should I get? I don't care about initial clock speeds because I'm going to oc.

Hello :)

Im not sure if im correct, but i think they may have gotten the Paris Core, which is 130nm, which i think are stripped down Newcastles, minus X86-64 and SSE3 like the other reviews mentioned

The Palermo core is probibly the one you are looking for, which is 90nm, with SSE3 and x86-64
It also runs cooler and with less voltage required

I think you should get in contact with Newegg before ordering
At that price, i think that they MAY be clearing the Paris stock :)

EDIT: Actually, now from further research, none the Palermo doesn't have X86-64 either, none of the 754 Semprons do, only the 939 Palermo E6 steppings do

Happy huntin :)

Last edited:
Well, I'll assume the worst and so I think the only option is to get the sempron 64 3000+.

Is there any real difference between 128kb L2 cache and 256kb L2 cache?

I plan to do some light to medium gaming after OCing, so would the lack of L2 cache affect game speed that much?

I might actually order a Sempron64 2800+ and a 3200+ venice for the heck of it :)

Then see which clocks higher. For $27, who can complain!
I would probably eBay the Sempron showing what it can achieve.

Just ordered my venice today $53 :) Should get it tomorrow if newegg ships from there warehouse in California as its only like 30miles away !

Im running the sempron 64 2800+ and its pretty nice. upgraded from a 2500+ i run it daily at 2.2ghz.

best super pi 1m time so far was 38sec

Palermo (939pin) and Manila(AM2) are both 64 bit arch.
They share the same internal engines, same L1 caches as some of the A64s and OC really well on low cost copper sinks (TT Volcano or Venus 7).
Semrons are lower in total bandwidth moving data, have smaller L2 cache and the HT tops out 200mhz lower than the A64s.
Get the 256L2 cache, it make a difference like the Palarmo 3100 or the Manila 3400. You may consider the AM2 on Manilas, with the newer tech and DDR2.

AlabamaCajun said:
Palermo (939pin) and Manila(AM2) are both 64 bit arch.
They share the same internal engines, same L1 caches as some of the A64s and OC really well on low cost copper sinks (TT Volcano or Venus 7).
Semrons are lower in total bandwidth moving data, have smaller L2 cache and the HT tops out 200mhz lower than the A64s.
Get the 256L2 cache, it make a difference like the Palarmo 3100 or the Manila 3400. You may consider the AM2 on Manilas, with the newer tech and DDR2.

True that, but doesnt he want a 754 system though? :beer:

The two socket 754 Sempron 3100s I got from Fry's with that ECS motherboard deal both have the X86-64 instruction set and one of them runs Windows XP64. I have it at about 1800/1850mhz stable. They are good chips. Doesn't run hot at all.

Back