• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer for college!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KHL

Registered
Just wanted to get some imput on building a computer for college use. Since i'll be going away next fall I want to put together a system thats going to last 4-5 years with out any or little maintainance.

Right now im running on a AMD 1800 at 1.53 GHz's :bang head
= lag most of the time when playing simple games online and music...

I want something fast and im not sure how fast of a processor I need or what not. My parents computer is a p4 at 3.0 Ghz and I seem to like that a lot more... but i can still easily lag that cpu...

Im thinking of capping my spending limit at 800$ but since its my money its up to me... things i want to be able to do are play decent games (halo, doom) and be able to have minimum amount of lag when going back and forth between aim, and ms word..

btw.. i already have a copy of ms op so no need for that :)

KHL said:
Just wanted to get some imput on building a computer for college use. Since i'll be going away next fall I want to put together a system thats going to last 4-5 years with out any or little maintainance.

Right now im running on a AMD 1800 at 1.53 GHz's :bang head
= lag most of the time when playing simple games online and music...

I want something fast and im not sure how fast of a processor I need or what not. My parents computer is a p4 at 3.0 Ghz and I seem to like that a lot more... but i can still easily lag that cpu...

Im thinking of capping my spending limit at 800$ but since its my money its up to me... things i want to be able to do are play decent games (halo, doom) and be able to have minimum amount of lag when going back and forth between aim, and ms word..

btw.. i already have a copy of ms op so no need for that :)

:welcome:

Will you need all components of a system, or do you have things like a Monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Also, can or will you reuse your current case, or will you want a new case?

And what all will you be doing with this system, besides gaming?

Hey thanks for the response!

I do already have a monitor (although i would like to go Lcd so any suggestions on a good one would be appreciated) i do have a mouse, keyboard, ect..

I am thinking along the lines of getting a new case since the one i have doesnt really close properly and has poor ventilation...

hmmm, i do edit photos on photoshop from time to time and download various programs but nothing too intense. I was talking to a friend of mine and he was recommending just buying a dell with a good cpu.. any thoughts on that?

Dell's are good for low end systems but have poor video card choices. Its the best way to get an inexpensive system with a monitor included but you will want an upgraded video card.

If you do not wish to learn how to build a PC, or just want a easy fix then go ahead. Id suggest using a dual core CPU. A AMD x2 or a core 2 duo.. It would be cheaper to build a system in most cases, for your needs id say you could get..
3600x2 AM2, 7900GS. 2 GBs of ram, a 22 inch LCD monitor, decent case, Decent PSU, and a nice sized hard drive (300GBs or so) for around 800 dollars.

i have been reading around that in April the price of the C2D processors might drop a little? Is it worth waiting till then? And how fast are these things... I mean the computer im using right now must be nothing comparied to the c2d's..

and thanks for the help guys.. later im going to look into a dell and see what i can possibly get for a good price. :thup:

but building a pc seems like a lot more fun..

Well if you're wanting something that you'd be satisfied with for 4-5 years, I would go with the C2D, a decent video card with atleast 256mb of ram, and 2gb of DDR2.

It is nothing. Lol The C2D is several times more effiecient then your current CPU. Id go for ther 4300 model, but I am a cheapo..

yes i have been reading a lot about the C2D 4300 and it seems like it can be very easily oc with the right mobo. but what about the april 22nd deal? and the new processors that are coming out with 4mb cach?

Unless you have special needs, A Dell is usually the best way to go for $400-$800. By special needs I mean gaming, a need for lots of storage, the very fastest processor, etc.
Once you add a video card to the build, you would have to go with a Dell XPS to compete with what you could build yourself and then it becomes cheaper to build your own.
On the other hand, A Dell will be obsolete in one year and they will be bugging you to buy another one. If you build a C2D rig now, it will last for much longer and it will be more flexible to upgrade.

so your saying if i build my own computer its probably going to cost a little bit more but end up lasting longer then a dell? this forum better still be here when i need help building my own computer lol :)

Well if your not gonna OC AMD is a better value as you can get a faster CPU for the same price as C2D, but OCing is where C2D's shine.
You best bet is an 4200+ X2, 110
not sure on mobo, but 50-75
2gb of DDR2, 120
7900GS, 175
160gb, 50
DVD/CD burner, 25
case/PSU 100
19" widescreen LCD 175
That hits the 800 mark...and that would give you the best gaming performance for the money

ajrettke said:
Well if your not gonna OC AMD is a better value as you can get a faster CPU for the same price as C2D, but OCing is where C2D's shine.
You best bet is an 4200+ X2, 110
not sure on mobo, but 50-75
2gb of DDR2, 120
7900GS, 175
160gb, 50
DVD/CD burner, 25
case/PSU 100
19" widescreen LCD 175
That hits the 800 mark...and that would give you the best gaming performance for the money

This does sound like a good system.. I will def have to look into the AMD's..
just wondering since it seems like the right about of power seems critical to a good long lasting computer, what type of psu would u recommend for a system like this?

Well the PSU and case are the hard part for 100 but it's possible. I'd recommend finding an antec case/PSU combo around 400 watts. If it's some no-name PSU your probably gonna want 500+. Also, another option is this free after rebate case:
http://shop.outpost.com/product/5124886
then 100 for the PSU is easy, checkout the PSU section for good recommendations.

For the case, I actualy bought one and it's pretty nice, you should get a 120mm fan for the exaust and an 80 for the side and possibl front for more ventilation, but with no extra fans (plan on getting em later) I still run my E4300 at 2.25 with stock voltage stock cooler not even trying for more (on time).

If you really want a system that will last 5 years, I think you need to expand your budget to about 1200.00.

5 years? no way not gonna happen. 5 years ago what was top of the line? MAYBE a 2.4ghz p4 but I think more like a 1.6p4 or 1400 Tbird.

What I listed is the best bet for as long as possible for the cash. Even 5k right now still won;t be enough in 5 years, especialy for gaming.

ajrettke said:
5 years? no way not gonna happen. 5 years ago what was top of the line? MAYBE a 2.4ghz p4 but I think more like a 1.6p4 or 1400 Tbird.

What I listed is the best bet for as long as possible for the cash. Even 5k right now still won;t be enough in 5 years, especialy for gaming.
Seeing as he is using an Athlon 1800+ now, I think he could build a system which will satisfy basic need for 5 years.

Sure it won't play new games five years from now, but it will still get the job done.

both you guys have good points, it would be nice to have a computer that would last all the way throught college but as games get better your definitly going to need to upgrade a video card or a new cpu. So maybe spending more $ so that my computer will be more upgradable? :confused:

KHL said:
both you guys have good points, it would be nice to have a computer that would last all the way throught college but as games get better your definitly going to need to upgrade a video card or a new cpu. So maybe spending more $ so that my computer will be more upgradable? :confused:
IF you want to actually play new games 2, 3 years down the road you are going to have to build a new system.

ajrettke was dead on in saying that a system won't last 5 years for playing new games.

Spend what you can now, worry about upgrading when the time comes.

I would just make sure to buy a good mobo, get a lower end c2d, then in 3 yrs drop the best you can throw into the socket, put a good video card in, and you will have a great system come that time. Otherwise if you want to build it right now, put in a 7900gs, and drop a 3600 brisbane in it, oc it to like 2.4, and you got a computer that should be pretty decent for a couple years, then in 3 years drop something like a x2 7200(whatever they will have those days) in it, along with a new line video card

Back