• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE NAND flash drive: Fun for page file use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
So a friend of mine got a heap of old machines from a domain hosting company and I got a decent amount of equipment a a result. Two of the machines I got were rackmount domain servers running. One was running it from a compactflash IDE adapter. The other contained a Memtech 3.5" drive like this one, in 512mb capacity.
memtech-at3515-bulldog-3.5-inch-ide-solid-state-flash-drive.jpg

PDF spec: http://www.memtech.com/pdfs/at3515ds.pdf
So I installed it in my machine, replaced it's old partition table, and assigned it to be the host a 470mb page file.

The setup is really snappy and everything is noticeably faster on boot and when multi-tasking. I had looked into it previously, but could never justify paying for one. So getting one for free is awesome. :D
I did have to disable low disk space warnings through the registry. Other than that getting it running was a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Well it did terribly in HDtach (a pathetic 3.1MB/s Burst speed)
I'm not sure if it's low capacity is affecting the test or not.
Hmmmmm, I'll have to try running it without the page file on the drive.

Last edited:
Back