• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new PSU Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acompdude

I havent ben keeping up with the new power supplies so I need some of you guys that have been to help me out.

I dont need a super power supply but I would like one that I would not have to upgrade for a while. It will only be running a pentium d and 4 or 5 hard drives and possibly watercooling later. Modular is also preferred. I would like to spend less than $200 on this. Preferably less than $150 but I will go up to $200 if it is necessary. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rattle said:
wolf do you think the 620 corsair is better than the DA 750 from silverstone.
just curious

I'm undecided about the new Silverstones - a large portion of them are producing complaints of buzzing or whining with heavy loads. At the moment, until I'm certain Silverstone's addressed the issue, I'm going with Corsair on that one.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I'm undecided about the new Silverstones - a large portion of them are producing complaints of buzzing or whining with heavy loads. At the moment, until I'm certain Silverstone's addressed the issue, I'm going with Corsair on that one.

based on the noise alone?

and is it true the 620 can pack 54amps?

Yep - I'm not sure they spent enough time in the engineering of the new units. It's Silverstone's first effort at doing the actual enginnering though, so I'd expect a few buggy units at first.

The HX620 is good for 50A I believe.

acompdude said:
Would a 750 wattish last me a little while future wise?

You need to project accurately what you are contemplating "a little while future wise." If you are thinking dual 8800GTXs SLI, then perhaps something bigger but there are those here that would tell you the Corsair will run them too. This Corsair, since you want modular, is rated SLI easily and should be more than enough for anything but the extreme. If it would make you feel more confortable, the Corsair HX620 would do too.

One of the guys here ran 8800 GTXs SLI with a Silverstone ZF560w without a problem whatsoever. Does that answer your question?

Well I am in the process of looking up some of those power supplies now and I seem to really like those corsair power supplies. Its kinda sad. The last time I was buying a power supply I dont even think corsair was making power supplies.

Also, if any of you are intel guys I have a thread about picking a new mobo and some help there would be greatly appreciated.

I really like that silverstone but I am kinda afraid with that buzzing/whining issue. What about the Silverstone ST75F Here. Its modular and it has 4 pci express plugs. Wouldnt having four be a little more future proof? The corsair only has two. Are there any other good power supplies in my price range and needs other than corsair and silverstone? I am just trying to cover all the bases.

So it looks like I am going to be ordering the ST75ZF unless someone gives me a reason not to. Thanks for your help guys.

I always stood by Enermax. Im on 2nd PSU after 7 years. Not a bad deal if you ask me, while every one else buys new once every year.

I would go for enermax but I really want a modular psu. I wish enermax made one(unless I am just not seeing it). So I guess its still the ST75ZF. I will not be ordering till probably monday so suggestions are still welcome.

acompdude said:
I would go for enermax but I really want a modular psu. I wish enermax made one(unless I am just not seeing it). So I guess its still the ST75ZF. I will not be ordering till probably monday so suggestions are still welcome.

Enermax does have a modular line. The Liberty line. They have a 400W, 500W, and 620W.

That ST75ZF is still a much better PSU, but if you have to have modular, then the Liberties are pretty nice.

acompdude said:
Well I am in the process of looking up some of those power supplies now and I seem to really like those corsair power supplies. Its kinda sad. The last time I was buying a power supply I dont even think corsair was making power supplies.

Also, if any of you are intel guys I have a thread about picking a new mobo and some help there would be greatly appreciated.

At SPCR (SilentPCReview.com) they say that Seasonic makes the Corsair units. They also say that the M (modular) units exhibit an unpleasant buzzing noise at low power usage levels. Don't know if either is true.

Back