• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is AMD going to drag ATI down with them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

I've been reading alot about AMD's financial problems. Combined with their inability to deliver a product to match Intel in price and performance, AMD's future is looking bleaker than ever.

My question is: Will AMD's struggles have an equally negative impact on ATI?

I don't want to buy an ATI video card (e.g. R600) then have ATI suddenly go under.

ATi could break-off if AMD died, as long as they don't allow themselves to be too intergrated.
AMD will be back on top with their new lineup, and then Intel will likely take a larger hit then what the A64 did... now that people know the power of AMD's processors.

And AMD does have the FX-74 and X2-6000, both beating(matching) the C2D e6700... and they're the same price.

Last edited:
Uh...the X2 6000 is beat by the E6600 and everything I'm reading shows the E6700 above the FX-74.

AMD dieing?
I don't see that happening when they offer a superior server platform.
Server market >> Desktop market

It's given AMD is short on cash when they grow this aggressively (buying ATi, building Fab36, retooling Fab30/38, planning a new fab in NY) but there's no reason to think they would be "going down".

amd wont be close to surpasing current intel until barcelona and then we have penryn to content with. right now the end of the year is going to be exciting noone knows who will be on top not even amd fan boys.

largon said:
AMD dieing?
I don't see that happening when they offer a superior server platform.
Server market >> Desktop market
It's given AMD is short on cash when they grow this aggressively (buying ATi, building Fab36, retooling Fab30/38, planning a new fab in NY) but there's no reason to think they would be "going down".
QFT, AMD's server platforms are the best there is, when you need 32 processing cores and 128Gb of RAM in a single rock-steady and efficient package. Who do you look for?
I know A LOT of people who have made the switich from Xeon to Opteron and they love them.

AMD is spending some serious money so they can grow as fast as they can... but they're feeling the pain.

If they do pull off this agressive groth spurt well enough, Intel will have to contend with another A64 vs P4 situation again...

Back