• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a way to get all the bandwidth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Is there a way I can setup my router so that I get all the bandwidth I need no matter what the other people in my house are doing?

Im using a wrt54g

--pak

QoS settings

you should be able to set priority on the wireless lan and the wired your machine "high" theirs "low" or something

disable all other IPs in your house with iptables and only allow traffic to yours. They simply can't use the internets anymore and you hog all the bandwith.

klingens said:
disable all other IPs in your house with iptables and only allow traffic to yours. They simply can't use the internets anymore and you hog all the bandwith.

LOL or remove the router and connect my pc strait to the modem?

I think i'm going to give that QoS a shot.

--pak

So far, this doesnt seem to work very well. I set the ethernet port I use to high.

--pak

I have the v2.2 wrt54g. Do you have DHCP on? I don't believe that QoS will work too well if it is. You have to have every computer set to a static IP. I believe the router only leases an IP to a computer for 24 hours and then changes it.

Under my settings, it is clicked to enabled. But everything is set to default. The IP's are also only leased for 1 day like you mentioned.

Any walk throughs on how to set this up?

--pak

Go into the routers web interface, and disable DHCP. At each computer go start-> Control Panel-> Network and Internet Connections-> Network Connections-> right click on Local Area Network-> Properties-> Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click the properties button. Under General Tab, click use the specified IP address, or something along those lines. You choose the IP address and all is good from there. Just make sure that each computer has a unique address. Also I am not absolutely sure but I think it has to start with 192.186.1. if your router is using the default address. I also think you can still leave it set to automatically obtain DNS server address, if not that information will be in your routers setup page, usually on the first one that shows up. Most of the time it seems to be 255.255.255.0 or something along those lines.

Did exactly what you said. It works, but I still lag out.

Maybe I should describe what I am trying to achieve. For the most part it is just me and my son who use the net. Others use it as well, but it is seldom and they only surf the net. My son on the other hand DL's, instant messages, direct connects, and the whole 9.

What I want is for him to lag when he decides to do that all at once and not me. For some reason he continues as my connection drags.

--pak

I think you may have to enter the MAC addresses of both systems, and set priorities accordingly. You would set the priority of your rig on high, while his is on low. I think that might help solve the problem. You won't be able to take every little bit of bandwidth from him, without the old fashioned unplug, but that should limit it down quite a bit. The only other thing I might be able to think of right off hand would be maybe a different firmware with more QoS options?

I already set the MAC address thing up. I was beginning to think that too. Maybe I should give DD-wrt a look. I wonder if their settings are better.

--pak

pak said:
I already set the MAC address thing up. I was beginning to think that too. Maybe I should give DD-wrt a look. I wonder if their settings are better.

--pak

if you decide to do dd-wrt, or any open source WRT just make sure you have a "ok" version. i think wrt54g v4? i think it was is a hard to flash model

you can do so much more with ddwrt that you couldnt do with your router previuosly :)

Well I actually have two wrt54g's. One is a version 6 and the other one is a version 4 or older. Unfortunately for convenience reasons, Id rather modify the version 6. And from what I have been reading on their site, there is a way to get it into the version 6 routers.

I just wish there was a way to see all the settings to see if it has the settings I am looking for.

--pak

If you are going to flash the V6.x I think you can only use the DD-WRT Micro version. More on that can be found here. I think all the instructions can be found on that page as well. Make sure to follow the directions letter by letter to avoid bricking your router.

I have never heard of a residential router that can prioritize the way you want. It might be easier to limit the bandwidth your son can use to allow you enough to do what you need.

As far as IM goes, it doesn't use hardly any bandwidth at all. What does he use to do downloads? If he is using bit torrent then he needs to use a program to throttle is upload speed. You will hardly ever max out your download with bit torrent depending on how many people you are dl'ing from but upload will kill your entire network connection and is usually low and easy to max out.

I'm not sure what you mean by direct connect but even then, unless he is downloading or uploading at a constant high speed you should never lose your connection.

What apps is he using for his downloads?
Could you explain what you mean by direct connect?

Direct connect is via those instant message programs. You "direct connect" with someone and you can share files. I know he uses bit torrent and morphous/limewire. As far as the upload, I know its that. It is when someone is DLing from him is when I am lagging.

But I do not want to completely remove the features from him, I just don't want it to lag me.

Is there a way I can just limit his speads?

--pak

Looks like you could use something like this:

http://www.download3k.com/Network-t...wnload-Bandwidth-Management-and-Firewall.html

However, you should be able to sit down with him and find a speed that he can live with. Honestly, you want to limit the upload anyway. It's a big red flag to your ISP and if you're on cable your upload is probably only 256k or lower.

You can go into Limewire and some bit torrent clients and just put a limit on the upload. His download speeds won't change at all. The bit-torrent community frowns upon not "seeding" and will say that you get better downloads when you seed more but it isn't true.

Back