• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are you happy with your P5B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

looking to find out what is the opinion on a P5B for a future purchase, what might be better.

NO.

Unless the following doesn't bother you.

Onboard audio doesn't work worth beans. Popping, hissing and distortion. Doesn't work well with MS drivers or the SoundMax drivers. Lots of people having this issue and when I called ASUS, they acted like they had never heard about it before and I was the first to report the problem.

Sometimes it doesn't recognize USB devices and or keyboard. Especially when going into BIOS. Enter BIOS and can't do anything. Have to reboot and try again.

Jmicron drivers suck and really slow down the OS. Don't install them.

Sometimes takes 2-3 pushes of the front button to start system. Rare but it does happen and for no apparent reason.

Slow boot up even without Jmicron drivers installed.

Vista 64-bit takes 40-45 seconds to boot from cold start to login. I have a Dell at work that has half the ram and older cpu that will boot in 30 seconds or less with Vista 64-bit. Mine is suppose to be a hot machine! Hahaha.....

It does run Intel Matrix Raid - but I've had it get corrupted once - not sure what caused the issue, but had to rebuild the raid.

Some folks reporting issues with WiFi. Lots of other issues as well - search the web....

If I had to do over, I would steer clear and go for something else. IMOP too expensive for what you get. Audio ****es me off.

flyboy said:
NO.

Onboard audio doesn't work worth beans. Popping, hissing and distortion. Doesn't work well with MS drivers or the SoundMax drivers. Lots of people having this issue and when I called ASUS, they acted like they had never heard about it before and I was the first to report the problem.

Sometimes it doesn't recognize USB devices and or keyboard. Especially when going into BIOS. Enter BIOS and can't do anything. Have to reboot and try again.

Sometimes takes 2-3 pushes of the front button to start system. Rare but it does happen and for no apparent reason.

Vista 64-bit takes 40-45 seconds to boot from cold start to login. I have a Dell at work that has half the ram and older cpu that will boot in 30 seconds or less with Vista 64-bit. Mine is suppose to be a hot machine! Hahaha.....

It does run Intel Matrix Raid - but I've had it get corrupted once - not sure what caused the issue, but had to rebuild the raid.

Some folks reporting issues with WiFi. Lots of other issues as well - search the web....

If I had to do over, I would steer clear and go for something else. IMOP too expensive for what you get. Audio ****es me off.

wow that sounds terrible, have you tried newer drivers for Jmicron and have you tried to RMA the board

I have had 2 p5b-d's the first rev and 1.03g
I have had DS3, DQ6, biostar T965, Asus p5n32-e sli plus and a P5w dh deluxe from asus also.

favorite is the p5b-deluxe, second favorite is the p5w dh

I dont have any problems or qurkiness whatsoever with anything, the only thing I dont like is the IDE channel on Jmicron which is taken care of by a sata rim and then you can disable it. If you just have IDE roms or HDD then you dont even need a driver. I dont get slow boot with it enabled regardless.
Onboard audio is pretty much crap on every board, get a sound card or USB audio headset with DSP and thats taken care of.

Rattle said:
I have had 2 p5b-d's the first rev and 1.03g
I have had DS3, DQ6, biostar T965, Asus p5n32-e sli plus and a P5w dh deluxe from asus also.

favorite is the p5b-deluxe, second favorite is the p5w dh

I dont have any problems or qurkiness whatsoever with anything, the only thing I dont like is the IDE channel on Jmicron which is taken care of by a sata rim and then you can disable it. If you just have IDE roms or HDD then you dont even need a driver. I dont get slow boot with it enabled regardless.
Onboard audio is pretty much crap on every board, get a sound card or USB audio headset with DSP and thats taken care of.
Do you have a optical IDE that is using Jmicron. IF you do what mode is it in
I hope it's ultra DMA 2

Why was the p5b-deluxe your favorite

Last edited:
It works fine once it is setup right, however there are quite a few bugs here and there with drivers. Blank screen boot up with the older P5B deluxe is common. Onboard sound is crap.

I seriously can't figure out how they messed up the onboard sound. Old motherboards that first started showing up with onboard sound worked great. Every board I've owned since then with onboard sound has worked well. The most expensive motherboard I've ever purchased (P5B deluxe) and the onboard sound is crap. :confused:

Hi, I have a P5B Premium Vista motherboard and I can state that it works fine, out of the box. The on-board sound is excellent, even uses EAX in games, it is crystal clear and I've used both the MS and Soundmax drivers. This motherbaord has been one of easiest to configure, overclock, and, as a benefit, also runs cool as well, even with a OC of 3ghz...
ChrisC

No... It was too easy to overclock... and im serious, that actually detracts from the board... Call me stupid, but thats the way i feel

I agree with all these. I got a P5B-wifi because I read good reviews here. But I'm regretting it now man.

The wi-fi is a crappy mini card running off of a USB port. I've been having frequent connection lost problems with it.

I think it'll be better to get a simple board, and buy seperate sound/wifi cards for it. It'll be more reliable/higher quality. And it might even be cheaper!

Also, the AMI bios sux. I would get a board with AWARD bios. Onboard Jmicron EIDE also sux. Man I hate this board.

flyboy said:
NO.

P5B-deluxe: I like mine and have had pretty much no problems. Supposedly the early on-board audio drivers weren't great but the newer ones worked fine for me (by the time I got the board they were the current ones) when I used them for a while, then I got an x-fi. It's better than RealTek chips which have known serious issues with EAX.

If you have the JMicron enabled for PATA, yes it does slow booting by a whopping 5 seconds if you don't press a button to continue. No big deal, how often do you boot, once a day?

As for the JMicron performance in SATA and PATA:
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=13
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=14
Seems ok to me. I use a SATA DVDRW on the JMicron and never had any problems but I never benchmarked it either. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that please point me to them.

I don't use wireless at all yet and if I did it wouldn't be a critical thing so I can't comment on that. Real networks are wired anyway :p

MadMan007 said:
P5B-deluxe: I like mine and have had pretty much no problems. Supposedly the early on-board audio drivers weren't great but the newer ones worked fine for me (by the time I got the board they were the current ones) when I used them for a while, then I got an x-fi. It's better than RealTek chips which have known serious issues with EAX.

If you have the JMicron enabled for PATA, yes it does slow booting by a whopping 5 seconds if you don't press a button to continue. No big deal, how often do you boot, once a day?

As for the JMicron performance in SATA and PATA:
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=13
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/asus-c2d/index.x?pg=14
Seems ok to me. I use a SATA DVDRW on the JMicron and never had any problems but I never benchmarked it either. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that please point me to them.

I don't use wireless at all yet and if I did it wouldn't be a critical thing so I can't comment on that. Real networks are wired anyway :p

5 seconds booting delay, is that the same on all 965 boards.

I don't know I don't have any others. Basically if you disable the JMicron it doesn't happen. If you do use it all it does is say 'press any key' and it doesn't pause, if you do nothing it adds a few seconds. It's such a non-issue I don't know why anyone would complain about it, if you're at your keyboard just press a key, if you're not then it's only 5 seconds the world isn't going to end.

MadMan007 said:
I don't know I don't have any others. Basically if you disable the JMicron it doesn't happen. If you do use it all it does is say 'press any key' and it doesn't pause, if you do nothing it adds a few seconds. It's such a non-issue I don't know why anyone would complain about it, if you're at your keyboard just press a key, if you're not then it's only 5 seconds the world isn't going to end.

thank you

i love mine.. its been the most reliable, overclockable, stable motherboard ive owned. i shouldve gotten better ram, because i was quickly able to hit 450fsb and thats pretty much where my cheapy ram stopped :( hard drive performance is great, so is matrix raid. the only kind of quirk i have is the double boot when the strap changes, or when the power is disconnected from the psu. oh, and the slight sluggishness in the bios since i went to an 8800, from a 7900. onboard sound is definately a steaming pile, but thats what audigys are for.. hope it can run penryn :)

MadMan007 said:

Well 5 (or3) :) seconds is not a whole lot. But when you look at the matrix raid boot speed, it takes only 20-30 seconds for windows to boot. 3 seconds is like 10% of that.

People would do whatever they could to squeace 5% out of their video card/CPU OC. You probably understand that since you're here in OCForum? :p
Then why can't you understand the reason we're obsessing about this 3 seconds delay? :p

Also, I've used a lot of boards over the years, and the jmicron thingy is the first boot rom I've seen that ask you to "press a key" after the detection process.. it's plain idiotic.

On top of that, p5b-wifi is not a cheap board! *sigh*.. anyways. Rant over. :beer: Maybe I'm old fashion but I think that older boards like a7n8x, nf7 etc are much better products.

There's a difference between performance for something that runs for hours and hours versus something that is done very infrequently. 5% of CPU speed could over time could mean a lot, 5% boot time once or twice a day is a lot less meaningful. And you don't even have to use the JMicron if you get a SATA optical drive. Plus how often to you reboot AFK?

If that's the worst thing one has to say about the board with the current state of drivers and BIOS which seem good :shrug:

Last edited:
as much as i loved my nf7, i hated it to, these boards are so much better then the old ones, theres just no competition...

and i dont have to press any key tp continue after the jmicron screen comes up :shrug:

Back