• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karadhas

After pestering my more knowledgeable friends for information for the past month and a half they've finally given up and just sent me here. I've got a few ideas about which psu to buy but considering that a psu can fail a little more... entertainingly than any other part I figured it best to ask anyway.

I need something that can power this:

Overclocked q6600 (tuniq tower heatsink)
Asus p5b deluxe
2gb DDR2-800 (or 667 if the p5b will run with it)
120gb SATA hdd
8800gtx or r600 (can support one, not necessarily buying one right now)
Probably 2 Cold Cathode lights
At least 2 or 3 120mm fans

So far I've found these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104023

They're all fortrons, but that's because its the only thing newegg ever shows me. The 144 one is pushing my budget a bit too, I can probably swing paying up to 160 for the power supply but definitely not any higher.

Karadhas said:
After pestering my more knowledgeable friends for information for the past month and a half they've finally given up and just sent me here. I've got a few ideas about which psu to buy but considering that a psu can fail a little more... entertainingly than any other part I figured it best to ask anyway.

I need something that can power this:

Overclocked q6600 (tuniq tower heatsink)
Asus p5b deluxe
2gb DDR2-800 (or 667 if the p5b will run with it)
120gb SATA hdd
8800gtx or r600 (can support one, not necessarily buying one right now)
Probably 2 Cold Cathode lights
At least 2 or 3 120mm fans

So far I've found these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104023

They're all fortrons, but that's because its the only thing newegg ever shows me. The 144 one is pushing my budget a bit too, I can probably swing paying up to 160 for the power supply but definitely not any higher.

http://deadeyedata.com/shop/index.p...id=103&zenid=02406ab3df971c4e26ba41c04700ea4e

I second the Silverstone, but there are other options out there depending on your needs. Are you looking for silence or a modular PSU?

Also, :welcome: to the forums!

PWatterson said:
I second the Silverstone, but there are other options out there depending on your needs. Are you looking for silence or a modular PSU?

Also, :welcome: to the forums!

Niether actually. I won't turn a modular PSU down if it's the best option available but I don't really mind noise or cables, and I've heard some griping about modular models being worse than regular ones.

I noticed also that most of the power supplies suggested (here and in other threads) are around 500-550 watts. Is anything higher pointless or are they just not as good as the ~550 watt power supplies? I'm planning on overclocking the Q6600 pretty hard, so I want to make sure I don't fry anything in the process.

(nvm the psu calculator. I had quad processor selected instead of quad core. oops.)

Last edited:
Karadhas said:
Niether actually. I won't turn a modular PSU down if it's the best option available but I don't really mind noise or cables, and I've heard some griping about modular models being worse than regular ones.

I noticed also that most of the power supplies suggested (here and in other threads) are around 500-550 watts. Is anything higher pointless or are they just not as good as the ~550 watt power supplies?

Karadhas,

The Corsair HX520 and HX620 modulars are very quiet and supply more than enough power. It's not pointless to go more powerfiul, just a waste of money. One of the guys here ran dual 8800GTXs on the Zeus 560ZF mentioned above without a problem if you see what I am inferring.

Most asking here think a big 750 watt is needed for an 8800GTX and according to the guys here that know say "not so." Some want big for peace of mind whether it's needed or not and that's perfectly understandable. There are some excellent modulars if that's what you like but they aren't everyone's choice. After experiencing this Corsair (Seasonic OEM) I think perhaps modulars get a bad rap and so do others here.

That Silverstone Zeus apparently is a real bear at 560W, perhaps not quite as quiet as some others but that doesn't seem to be a concern to you.

Karadhas said:
I noticed also that most of the power supplies suggested (here and in other threads) are around 500-550 watts. Is anything higher pointless or are they just not as good as the ~550 watt power supplies? I'm planning on overclocking the Q6600 pretty hard, so I want to make sure I don't fry anything in the process.

(nvm the psu calculator. I had quad processor selected instead of quad core. oops.)
Anything above 600w is for those who will be running dual or more high end graphic card setup.

Considering how long I ran a 6600gt+prescott combo on a generic 250-300w psu I'll believe it. I've found the ST56ZF at newegg for a nice price, i think I might go with that one.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I didn't expect this many people to respond this quickly.

Karadhas said:
I've found the ST56ZF at newegg for a nice price, i think I might go with that one.

You're going to love it - mine's a year old and fighting some nasty power fluctuations thanks to the thunder snow we're getting today. The lights are flickering like crazy but I think I hear the ST56ZF yawning in there ;)

Sounds good. Lightning down here in florida is pretty crazy. Is it safe to assume it's got plenty of juice to run some lights?

RollingThunder said:
Karadhas,

The Corsair HX520 and HX620 modulars are very quiet and supply more than enough power. It's not pointless to go more powerfiul, just a waste of money. One of the guys here ran dual 8800GTXs on the Zeus 560ZF mentioned above without a problem if you see what I am inferring.

Most asking here think a big 750 watt is needed for an 8800GTX and according to the guys here that know say "not so." Some want big for peace of mind whether it's needed or not and that's perfectly understandable. There are some excellent modulars if that's what you like but they aren't everyone's choice. After experiencing this Corsair (Seasonic OEM) I think perhaps modulars get a bad rap and so do others here.

That Silverstone Zeus apparently is a real bear at 560W, perhaps not quite as quiet as some others but that doesn't seem to be a concern to you.
That is really impressive that he ran dual 8800GTX on Zeus 560ZF. I had a Corsair 520 before I got my second 8800GTX, and when I popped it in the computer wouldn't POST. So I sold it (for almost the full price!) and bought my new 850W PSU, which isn't even really paced. The Corsair 520 will do fine on a single gfx card setup, and it is actually fairly quiet (I found).

Well, I have a pathological dislike of SLI/Crossfire so I won't need to get something That beefy. I take it from your response that the corsair 520 will run a single 8800gtx without issue?

it did for me. SLI sucks in Vista but it works great in XP (especially with games optimized for SLI). I could even overclock my quad with the 520 corsair

RollingThunder said:
Karadhas,

The Corsair HX520 and HX620 modulars are very quiet

the understatement of the millennium, the friggin things are silent mate! :)

Karadhas said:
Well, I have a pathological dislike of SLI/Crossfire

I found that quite funny for some reason. The more I look into SLI the more Im moving in that direction.

mrgoodkat said:
the understatement of the millennium, the friggin things are silent mate! :)

Kat,

I normally don't like to overstate anything but you're right, this Corsair is quieter than a ghost in a cemetary.

:D

Heh. So i've got a choice between the lord of the greek gods or a box filled with ninja mice's church farts.

Back