• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Application or method to specify which soundcard a program uses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

OK, So I have an X-Fi and I'm also using the onboard Soundmax on my P5B board. I'm using the onboard sound to send audio to my TV, which I use to play movies from my PC to the TV.

I've got it setup so that the media player (usually BSPlayer or WMP11) is set to specify output to the soundmax. The system default is set to the X-fi, so that I can have the sound at the PC go through the speakers. (This way I could play a movie for someone and still play a game or something at the same time)

My problem is that I'd like to try using VLC media player for certain playback, but it doesn't have an option to specify the sound output. So, is there a program that could do something like this?

This is for Windows XP BTW. I won't be using Vista until the Soundblaster driver support gets a lot better. (I had it on here, but the drivers blew at the time. I've heard they are still not much better)

VLC does have plenty of options to set which combination of drivers/sound devices it plays back on. Go to the settings, tick Advanced Options in the bottom right, and have at it.

Back