• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LogMeIn is preventing standby

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDuck

I am trying to move my file server into the basement and need a remote admin solution. I have been trying the free version of LogMeIn, which works fine, but now the server won't go into standby.

I have a simple home network with Windows XP Home on each PC. One is a dedicated file server that was set up to standby when no other PC on the LAN was in use. Since installing LogMeIn, it will not standby. I tried changing the NIC properties so it wakes with Magic Packets only, but it remains on, presumably due to pinging from the LogMeIn server.

If LogMeIn can't meet my needs, is there a better solution? I considered buying XP Pro for my PC and use RDC, but I hate to blow the money on an OS I probably won't use for long. I just got UltraVNC but haven't tried it yet.

I don't require WAN/Internet access to the computer, just from within the LAN. Is there a way I can allow it to standby? It seems that if I block the pings, I probably won't have access to the LogMeIn service. Would checking the admin packets only setting in the power tab for the NIC properties work, or would I loose some functionality? Server drives are mapped to some of the PCs, so it needs to come on reliably when other PCs are being used.

My network is a set up with a DSL router (Netopia Caymen 3500) connected to a managed gigabit switch (Netgear GS748T). There are 3 PCs, the server, two laptops, and a WAP on the network. I only really need to control the server from my PC.

I would personally use one of the following:

UltraVNC
RealVNC
TightVNC

Free, fast, and does not require you to loop off your network and back onto it.

Thanks. I installed UltraVNC and am very impressed. Installation was easy and it runs much faster. I haven't found a function LogMeIn has over UltraVNC (at least on a LAN), and it appears it will let my server standby when idle.

Still testing, but so far so good. :thup:

I use log me in with 7 computers, but my comps just power down the monitor I dont stand by them. they all work great. Thats just to log into my home machines from my Girlfriends. Otherwise i use http://www.realvnc.com/ on both LANs

I just fired up Windows Home Server beta last night ( crippled, watered down version of Server 2003 ) and is pretty straight forward. It's designed to be headless and packed away, all user/file administration is done through a console GUI.

Pretty interesting :)

~ Gos

I've just started using logmein. The client pc needs to talk to the 'home' logmein in server on a regular basis, this activity I assume prevents standby mode. The *VNC clients are nice, I prefer UltraVNC, however that means you need a VNC veiwer loaded on a pc vs logmein, you just need access to the Internet anywhere anytime. Take your pick.

Back