• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zippy Gaming 600W undervolting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Hiya

Thought I was wise when I bought a nice new Zippy GSM-6600P(G1) 600W psu for my rig, but turns out the voltages are mostly a little low.

ZipyUndervolt.jpg

Just wondering if it is actually a problem, limiting overclocking of cpu & memory, or a fault with the P5B's reading ability, or not worth worrying about? I have the opportunity to return the unit, but they will only test it, and replace it if it is faulty or falls outside of the tolerances. From what I can find here http://www.zippy.com.tw/P_product_d...ower&pcpw_rfnbr=5&pp_code=Gaming‧GSM-6600P(G1) it is well within the 3% allowable.

Value any thoughts/help.

fritzman said:
Hiya

Thought I was wise when I bought a nice new Zippy GSM-6600P(G1) 600W psu for my rig, but turns out the voltages are mostly a little low.

ZipyUndervolt.jpg

Just wondering if it is actually a problem, limiting overclocking of cpu & memory, or a fault with the P5B's reading ability, or not worth worrying about? I have the opportunity to return the unit, but they will only test it, and replace it if it is faulty or falls outside of the tolerances. From what I can find here http://www.zippy.com.tw/P_product_d...ower&pcpw_rfnbr=5&pp_code=Gaming‧GSM-6600P(G1) it is well within the 3% allowable.

Value any thoughts/help.

You'll only know for sure by checking them with a DMM. I've seen the same many times with software readings, they aren't that accurate. Even if your software is close, you're within 1% error. Checking them at idle and under load should give you a good idea of your power supply. It has a great reputation.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=403837

If you return it, they may not accept software readings for the reason stated above.

Great Scott!!! Asus Probe is wrong!

Hey thanks guys... not used to having to deal with such fine tolerances in my overclocking quests, but now that I (thanks to Wa77z) have some decent ram, I am starting to push some previously unthought of (well for me anyway) boundaries.

Checked the lines with DMM and found (as you guys rightly pointed out, and I really wondered about all along) that the Zippy was fine... swaying rarely as low as 11.97 and generally either 11.98 or 11.99 under Orthos.

Thanks a heap... I'll keep pushing.

Mate, I have the same unit and the rails have been very stable. I have spent about two hours sitting in front of the DMM to see if there was a drastic change whilst OC'ing (It was a Sunday and I was jobless ;) ). There was none. This has been the best PSU I have owned.

I agree... it's really solid alright, I just got sucked in by Asus Probe.

Very happy with it.

Yea most software monitors are at least a little bit off. Mine reads 11.90 when my DMM reads 12.16.

I guess the next logical thing for me to do, would be to locate the points on the board to check actual v-core & V-dimm?

that would tell you how much there drooping.. but that wouldn't be a PSU issue ;)

greenmaji said:
that would tell you how much there drooping.. but that wouldn't be a PSU issue ;)

Understood, but if the Asus readings are off, I assume they are off for v-core & v-dimm as well, therefore it would be handy to know what is actually getting to both, so I can overclock better?

fritzman said:
Understood, but if the Asus readings are off, I assume they are off for v-core & v-dimm as well, therefore it would be handy to know what is actually getting to both, so I can overclock better?
Yep. Knowing the exact voltages would help a bit when it comes to setting them in the BIOS.

Back