• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD writer drives brands?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

So I'm picking out components to build a new PC and I'm curious if any particular brand is superior to the other brands for DVD writers. Looking at what they have on newegg they are all right around $30-40. Also seeing as there are SATA drives I figure I'd go with that. This narrows down the selection to about a dozen drives. Hopefully this link will work correct. It should list just the SATA DVD writers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&Subcategory=5&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

So anyways any feedback would be apreciated before I make a decision on which one to get.

jimmsch said:
is there any advantage to having a SATA optical drive?
Besides the fact ATA is going by the wayside, sata is alot easier to route cleanly. :beer:

Check on cdfreaks.com forums for specifics quirks and tweaks of various models of drives. There's a lot of info for DVD drives so you may have to sort through numerous threads but that way you won't get a model with some wierd quirk or flaw and be upset later.

I'll have a look at that site. I've had a couple ASUS drives and they both had annoying quirks. My current ASUS CD-RW drive tends to act like a CD isn't in it alot but restarting the PC corrects the behavior for a little while. This happens after burning/erasing/successive reading a series of 4 or 5 CDs or so.

Back