• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SYMNRT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

After using this tool for the hundred thousandth time i though i should recommend it to OCF. Its one of those tools that some of you may know, and some of you may have never heard of it. I was looking around this section before i posted and heard no one mention it. its called SYMNRT (i think it stands for symantec norton removal tool?) it basically removes any products from symantec in a few clicks. and if you are in computer repair like me. Removing Norton internet security is the like the first thing i do. Those of you who know how much of a pain this can be knows that this tool is VERY HELPFUL!!!!. Also if you are having problems with any products by symantec this tool removes all traces of norton without having to use Ccleaner+registry hunting. After using this tool you can easily reinstall the application that was not working properly. Today alone this product friend of mine from a format.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

just remember this removes EVERYTHING made by symantec on your machine.

also remember to close or disable the application before running this program, or else it won't run.

The only drawback is that you have to initiate most of the uninstall from add/remove programs before symnrt will even run. In cases where the install failed and may or may not be uninstalling the normal way, symnrt does not always work. In those situations I use msconfig to disable the symantec services, reboot, blow away all c:\program files\common\symantec and c:\program files\symantec (and/or norton) folders and files, then run symnrt to clean up the registry entries.

We use this to remove stubborn Norton installs and it works beautifully.

I think we use something a little different, but the same concept: nonav

Pinky said:
The only drawback is that you have to initiate most of the uninstall from add/remove programs before symnrt will even run. In cases where the install failed and may or may not be uninstalling the normal way, symnrt does not always work. In those situations I use msconfig to disable the symantec services, reboot, blow away all c:\program files\common\symantec and c:\program files\symantec (and/or norton) folders and files, then run symnrt to clean up the registry entries.
never had that problem. I right click the tray icon and hit disable and it removes =P. or just remove everything off the start up reboot, then run the app. It has never been more complicated than that.

imposter said:
never had that problem. I right click the tray icon and hit disable and it removes =P. or just remove everything off the start up reboot, then run the app. It has never been more complicated than that.

Yeah, I've ran it with the services running, it should stop them first.

imposter said:
It has never been more complicated than that.

Unfortunately I used to work in an environment where removing symantec was a daily chore. I found that if symnrt didn't immediately work the extra 10 minutes to follow through on removing as much of symantec's products as I could and rebooting saved me time in the long run.

Who cares whether it works or not, the fact symantec has this tool and regularly updates it is a literal admission to the issues inherent in their software. I avoid their products at all costs. Unfortunately for backups they've just about got a monopoly on the market, so for the business customers I support I have to use backup exec or the newer versions of ghost that have a ton of issues. lol

:bang head

Pinky said:
Unfortunately I used to work in an environment where removing symantec was a daily chore. I found that if symnrt didn't immediately work the extra 10 minutes to follow through on removing as much of symantec's products as I could and rebooting saved me time in the long run.

Who cares whether it works or not, the fact symantec has this tool and regularly updates it is a literal admission to the issues inherent in their software. I avoid their products at all costs. Unfortunately for backups they've just about got a monopoly on the market, so for the business customers I support I have to use backup exec or the newer versions of ghost that have a ton of issues. lol

:bang head

Yes, but do remember, those are their "home" products. Made for people who know NOTHING about what a computer is, let alone how to maintain them. Their "older" brothers (Symantec Enterprise), which we use on campus, it is amazing, we have had no problems with it at all (most likely because it is Enterprise...lol).

Back