Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

e4300 and Cooling

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 12:05 AM Thread Starter   #1
M36
Registered

e4300 and Cooling

Using the stock cooling fan on my e4300, GA-965P-DS3, I had core readings in the 30's at idle. Since I was planning to overclock I bought a Thermaltake Silent 775 to improve the cooling using arctic silver. The temperatures for the two cores went up into the 40's. While playing an online game it was around 58. My clock speed is at 2250 mhz. Right now at idle according to SF my temps are:

Temp 1 37
Temp 2 35
Temp 3 -2
Core 0 43
Core 1 43

Are these normal when my stock cooling fan had lower temps? If I was to over clock to at least 3.0 will my temps get way to high?

BTW, this is all new to me.

Thanks
M36 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 12:24 AM   #2
imposter

10 Year Badge

Hey to ocf. You must have done something wrong. your temps shoudlnt have increased like that..... try taking it off and putting it back on. Apply only a grain size of thermal paste! try using http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

-Ben333
imposter is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 12:28 AM Thread Starter   #3
M36
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposter
Hey to ocf. You must have done something wrong. your temps shoudlnt have increased like that..... try taking it off and putting it back on. Apply only a grain size of thermal paste! try using http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
I followed the online instructions for the ASilver and it said to lay a thin bead the length of the processor, slightly in from the top and the bottom. A guy at the store said to use about the size of a grain of rice. Was I dumb enough to follow the instructions from the makes of ASelver?

Can to much cause heating problems?

Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 12:31 AM   #4
imposter

10 Year Badge

i wouldn't say 10 degree difference but you can try reseting the heating sink or find a super fan and place it right on your heatsink it could just the fan is running slow because it wants to be silent. hence the name Thermaltake "Silent" 775

-Ben333
imposter is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 12:36 AM Thread Starter   #5
M36
Registered

Im beginning to think I need to return this to the store and find something better. I dont really care about being silent, I want cooler temps and this isnt doing it at all. I am not comfortable overclocking with this thing and what it is not doing.
Old 03-31-07, 02:16 AM Thread Starter   #6
M36
Registered

Well I am sure this makes sense to someone. I put the ASilver on the CPU as described by their web site and got the temperatures that I posted earlier. After reading what imposter wrote I took it all apart and put the ASilver on, about the size of a grain of rice, maybe slightly bigger.
This is what my temps are according to SpeedFan as I am typing this. About 10 degrees difference. If this is normal and what I should be getting I will start the OCing tomorrow.

Temp 1 35c
Temp 2 22c
Temp 3 -2
Core 0 31
Core 1 33

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-31-07, 03:21 AM   #7
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

That could also have been cause by one of the pegs not being in all the way, which would cause only part of the cpu to be cooled.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Coming soon
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 03:51 AM   #8
redrumy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M36
Well I am sure this makes sense to someone. I put the ASilver on the CPU as described by their web site and got the temperatures that I posted earlier. After reading what imposter wrote I took it all apart and put the ASilver on, about the size of a grain of rice, maybe slightly bigger.
This is what my temps are according to SpeedFan as I am typing this. About 10 degrees difference. If this is normal and what I should be getting I will start the OCing tomorrow.

Temp 1 35c
Temp 2 22c
Temp 3 -2
Core 0 31
Core 1 33

Thanks for the input.
those are alot better, what kind of fan are you using on this cooler now? a better fan with more CFM will help alot for load temps and idle if fan you have now isnt so great

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H F10
Evga GTX 770 4GB | SamSung Evo 120GB SSD
Evga 850W G2 | Asus Xonar Essence STX
Beyerdynamic DT-990 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz
SteelSeries Rival | Razer BlackWidow Ultimate | Corsair 760T
Windows 8.1 Update 1 64-Bit
redrumy3 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 07:43 AM Thread Starter   #9
M36
Registered

The 90mm fan that came with the everything else. There are holes for a larger diameter fan that I may go to.

Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs