• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aircards and WoW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rozal

Banned
I the whole reason I wanted to get a laptop was to get an aircard with it and be able to play WoW.

The Verizon rep told me that the aircard will pick internet from cell phone towers (around DSL speeds)

But I ask if it's good for gaming and he said not really.

Is this true? Can I not play wow with an aircard?

It would lag because that type of stuff will have high latency. It would be all right for website viewing but gaming I do doubt unless if you are VERY close to the tower.

Lots. I don't have any numbers but if you think about it, it takes a LONG time. for the signal to get there and then come back

Rozal said:
Lets say with cable my latency was 100ms, with an aircard it would be?

Average latency for EVDO is 200ms-300ms but it gets higher with gaming. With First person shooters there is no way but with WOW you might be OK. You should be able to get a free trial from them Verizon. If not Verizon you could try Sprint. A buddy of mine did a free 30 day trial with Sprint.

Here is a post from a guy who plays WOW just fine over EVDO:

My experience:

My Specs:

Merlin s620
EVDO
Arc Freedom Antenna booster
70 dbi
Windows XP SP2
SIIG PC Card Adaptor Pro
GeforceFX 5600

games:

World of Warcraft;
Latency: 300-550 ms

*notes*

plays perfectly fine. There is a little big of lag. Barely even noticely. Does not effect gameplay. I am not high enough to comfirm large raids or 40 man dungeons.

Counter-Strike: Source
Latency: 200-260 ms

*notes*

Does not play well. If anyone ever tried to play a FPS on dial-up, its kind of like that. Just a tad better. But not enough where i would ever try to play this on EVDO again.

Final Thoughts:

Latency is very important for online games. Specifically if your playing a slower MMORG, then it should be fine. If you're playing a precise FPS. Dont go for EVDO.

Hope this helps.

Back