• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which laptop to buy? acer 15.4 or everex 17"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
deciding between the two..
acer is $500
Specs:

Acer Aspire Notebook with AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology MK-36

Model: AS5100-3372

Windows Vista Home Premium preloaded

AMD Turion™ 64 mobile technology MK-36* for AMD64 performance in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and Enhanced Virus Protection** for Windows Vista

1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB

SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM
15.4" WXGA TFT-LCD display with CrystalBrite technology and 1280 x 800 resolution

100GB hard drive

ATI RADEON XPRESS 1100 graphics with up to 128MB shared video memory; high-definition audio support

5-in-1 media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card

3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in Acer InviLink wireless LAN (802.11b/g) with Acer SignalUp wireless technology; 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed modem

Weighs 6.2 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery

Everex is $700
specs:
Everex StepNote XT5000T 17" Notebook PC
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50
(1.6GHz) (512MB L2 Cache)
1024MB DDR2 System Memory
100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
17.0" WXGA DiamondBrite TFT Widescreen Display (1440x900)
NVIDEA® GeForce® Go 7600 Graphics (Discrete 256MB)
Atheros AR5005G 802.11b/g WLAN
Windows® Vista Home Premium OS
1-Year Limited Hardware Warranty

Ill be carrying the laptop around and using it on the go, and i would love to game if possible...

The Everex is a great value for the price. I suppose it really comes down to whether you'd want to pay more for higher gaming performance. Otherwise $500 is a safe expenditure, and also a good value with good features and lighter weight.

The everex is definitely better at gaming due to video card but you do have to factor in the extra size and 2.5lb weight difference since you will be carrying it around with you.

The Everex has 3 USB 2.0 ports as well, plus a DVI-I port if you wanted to hook it up to a larger LCD. I don't believe the Acer has this, only VGA out.

Having used the Acer wireless solution, it is consistently stronger than most other's that I've used (Dell, HP, Toshiba). It uses 2 antenna's and I can usually find at least 3-5x as many AP's around and maintain signal strength better than comparable Dell's or using PCMCIA cards.

Back