• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some suggestions for a vid card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

Hello peeps,

A friend of mine is looking to update his video card, I'm not sure of his current card, but I know it's low end cause it wont even run games like FEAR or Oblivion without locking up. His cpu is Intel core 2 duo, again not sure about the specs on that either.

Anyway he's wanting to spend $200.00 dollars top, needs to be pci express and wants it to play games like Doom 3, Oblivion, FEAR, etc.

He'll most likely get it from Newegg.

Thanks

Wait a few weeks for an 8600GT is my best advice. If your friend must have something now, I would consider picking up a 7600GT for like $80-100 (can be had for $80 AR on newegg) and then upgrade later to a DX10 card.

Spending $200 for a DX9 only card such as a 7900GT or x1950 is not advisable imo, when DX10 capable cards are just around the corner.

By the time dx10 is your ONLY option, the 8000 series nvidias and the x2k atis will be 2 or possibly 3 generations old. Tell your buddy to buy a 7900gt or x1950pro and enjoy his computer now.

Back