• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive restarting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_LightRanger

Hey guys,
I have a 70 gig raptor and a 120 gig western digital for storage. Every once in a while I hear a clicking sound like one of them is restarting but I cant tell which. Anyone have a suggestion?

That clicking noise is usually a bad sign. One of your drives could be nearing failure. I would isolate which one it is, and backup everything you don't want to lose.

I isolated my drives and it seems that my 120 western digital was restarting.. I have been running my machine just with my raptor and havent heard the noise once. Is there anyway I can save the drive, or should I just back it up and buy a new one?

Time to back up and buy new I'm afraid. The only way to "repair" it would be to RMA for another unit, and that's only possible if it were still under warranty.

A drive restarting is normally a wiring short. If it continues it will damage the drive. Check the connectors from the drive to the power supply. Inline connectors can be bad about this. Run chkdsk on the drive to repair bad writes.

Red_LightRanger said:
Hey guys,
I have a 70 gig raptor and a 120 gig western digital for storage. Every once in a while I hear a clicking sound like one of them is restarting but I cant tell which. Anyone have a suggestion?

Get another PSU on the drive. Mine made that sound when the PSU was starting to go. I'd try that upgrade when you get a chance.

And make it a GOOD PSU ;)

Back