• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best deal on Taiyo Yuden DVD+R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a nice place. The prices are average-ish for non-sale prices but being able to specify the number of discs you want to buy is great. I tend to look for sales on Verbatim or a few other brands from B&Ms and stock up though.

I usually get mine at supermediastore like Brando. Usually rima.com and shop4tech.com has competitive prices. These sites always have occasional deals though so you can always wait around and stock up. Not sure what burner you have but most decent ones can burn TYG02 (supermedia's 8x valueline) at atleast 12x if not 16. I've probably killed a thousand or so G01/G02 at 12x/16x with only a coaster or 2.

Besides using better dyes and higher quality additives than most other DVD manfacturers, TY may be the last (RITEK was the other, but their quality has gone downhill) DVD manufacturer that bins their media by grade. When you buy authentic TY-labeled discs, you are buying their highest binned discs. Most all other manufacturers have mixed media codes, use various dyes/reflective materials, etc. They are not consistent with their quality.

I'm a fanboy for TY and readily admit it. I've used other brands and had success. Verbatim has been relatively good to me. Older RITEK g05s were good to me. However, in almost 700 TY discs (on my 7th spindle in the past couple years), I've had 0 coasters. I have also used 5 different DVD-RW drives during this time.

As for the poster's question, I've primarily bought from Rima, but Supermediastore is also top-notch. Not all stores will carry authentic TY discs, so those are the only two I trust (also happen to carry them for about as cheap as you can find).

Jon said:
Besides using better dyes and higher quality additives than most other DVD manfacturers, TY may be the last (RITEK was the other, but their quality has gone downhill) DVD manufacturer that bins their media by grade. When you buy authentic TY-labeled discs, you are buying their highest binned discs. Most all other manufacturers have mixed media codes, use various dyes/reflective materials, etc. They are not consistent with their quality.

I'm a fanboy for TY and readily admit it. I've used other brands and had success. Verbatim has been relatively good to me. Older RITEK g05s were good to me. However, in almost 700 TY discs (on my 7th spindle in the past couple years), I've had 0 coasters. I have also used 5 different DVD-RW drives during this time.

As for the poster's question, I've primarily bought from Rima, but Supermediastore is also top-notch. Not all stores will carry authentic TY discs, so those are the only two I trust (also happen to carry them for about as cheap as you can find).
I can vouch for Ritek going downhill... I was a HUGE fan of them, but now have a lot of hate for them for trying to burn me twice on rebates... not only that, but the quality of their CD-Rs went way downhill. The current CD-R set
I have scratches so easily (on the actual data side where you write on, the side that CANNOT be fixed).

Verbatim has quickly replaced Ritek in my book, but I may give this TY you speak of a whirl.

g0dM@n said:
I can vouch for Ritek going downhill... I was a HUGE fan of them, but now have a lot of hate for them for trying to burn me twice on rebates... not only that, but the quality of their CD-Rs went way downhill. The current CD-R set
I have scratches so easily (on the actual data side where you write on, the side that CANNOT be fixed).

Verbatim has quickly replaced Ritek in my book, but I may give this TY you speak of a whirl.

I have a full cake box of 100 RITEK DVD+Rs that have physical defects in the ink application, like it didn't completely make it around the disk. This is out of three 100 packs. The truly sad part is that I haven't even made it half-way through the final cake box, so I have 100 bad disks out of about 250 so far.

Jon said:
I have a full cake box of 100 RITEK DVD+Rs that have physical defects in the ink application, like it didn't completely make it around the disk. This is out of three 100 packs. The truly sad part is that I haven't even made it half-way through the final cake box, so I have 100 bad disks out of about 250 so far.
Quality... pfff... what happened to them!!!!!!!!!!? They used to be great.

I bought those TY Value DVD-R, 100 for like 25$, think it had G01 media code and it was only rated at 4x but I am able to burn them at 12x w/o a problem. Glad I bought 200 of those things, gona last me a good while. :D

Warren G said:
I bought those TY Value DVD-R, 100 for like 25$, think it had G01 media code and it was only rated at 4x but I am able to burn them at 12x w/o a problem. Glad I bought 200 of those things, gona last me a good while. :D
Oh you got the -R. I know that they're different, but I've NEVER tried -R... how come you picked those... you got a player that reads those better?

g0dM@n said:
Oh you got the -R. I know that they're different, but I've NEVER tried -R... how come you picked those... you got a player that reads those better?

Yup, I have a few older DVD players that wasnt able to read some Riteks and Maxwell DVD+R very well, but reads the TY DVD-R without a skip. Now I only use TY DVD-R discs. BTW I have the NEC-3540 burner which I'll probably swap when I build my HTPC.

Isn't -R is the "official" format? I've read various arguments about how +R is technically better but no real world results. Another reason some people seem to buy +R is so they can change the booktype to -ROM for older dvd players that don't recognize anything else. I never had a problem with any dvd players not recognizing -R though.

i've been using fry's GQ DVDs for about 2 years now, accumulated over 500 dvds and never had a single coaster (except the shows i started to hate, which made great coasters btw). they're about 9 bucks for 50discs. not sure how far frys has expanded past CA, but they do have there online site. the brand that comes up when i scan it with nero is Sony D11.. not sure if thats good or not..

I actually need to get some media soon. I'm out of my 100 pack of Memorex 16x +R. I've heard everyone say Memorex sucks, is this true? I've burned all 100 @ 16x without a single coaster. Why the bad rap for Memorex?

Back