• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going with the P5N32-E SLI Plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatSync

Registered
I'm a computer engineer and professional digital photographer. I build and overclock my PC's to save money, and I use them for management and archival of my digital images as well as to run my photography business. I shoot Raw images and encode the images into Adobe's DNG format for archival. This process is a very intensive encoding process on many images at one time. I also use Photoshop CS2/CS3 extensively, which requires lots of memory. So far I've been able to get by building a new primary PC about every three years. My current workstation PC is the Abit IC7 overclocked and watercooled by an Asetek Waterchill kit. I built this system about 3 years ago, and it has served me well. However, with 775 motherboards finally starting to mature and drop in price as well as the low-cost Core 2 Duos, I think now is a good time to build again; and that is the purpose of this post. I believe the P5N32-E SLI Plus will be the board I choose; however, I'm struggling with the right memory and the right CPU to use for watercooling with the Asetek. For Photoshop, I will need 4GB of memory, but only need a dual core for now. Hopefully a BIOS update will help the quad core overclocking on this board down the road; if not, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Can anybody recommend a good combination of memory and Core 2 Duo that will give me an optimal overclock with 4GB. I realize I will lose some performance with 4GB, but I'm hoping to minimize that. I'm willing to go above budget memory if necessary, but hoping to avoid the most expensive. For the CPU, I need the best multiplier to work with when coupled with the 4GB for an optimal solution. I will pay the extra money for this if necessary for the CPU. I know the E4300 is a good overclocker and inexpensive, but I'm afraid the multiplier on it may be too low for a 4GB overclock. I'm not seeing too many people buying it for some reason either; instead opting for the E6400. Any help anyone can offer me here will be extremely appreciated and save me a ton of time.

Thanks,
HeatSync

Thanks shiyan, I think I'll do that. Now I just need to find 4x1G sticks of memory that will O/C well with this board.

HeatSync

Back