• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to 7v a Laing DDCplus 18W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyl33t

Hi, Is it possible to 7v a Laing DDCplus 18W?

The pump is still kinda noisy. I know I can mod it to the 10W version by removing that solder bridge on the PCB, but that will void the warranty.

I tried to put 7v through the pump, but this did not work. I then tried 5v and this worked, the pump turned on, but no water would move.

The reason why I am asking this is because I think that the water is moving TOO fast through my system and this is causing it to hit the impeller very fast and cause it to rattle. If I kink the tubing a bit, the noise i not produced because the flow is not as fast.

I think I may mod the pump from 18W to the 12W version by removing the solder bridge.

Any suggestions?

Pump won't start or run below 9v.

Pretty much even if you undervolt pump the noise level still willl be above of 10w version at 12v. At certain point when being undervolted pump will run but it won't start with the system.

I have the alphacool top. Is there any way to get rid of this rattling sound?

Thanks

I thought you RMA'ed the top. Does it rattle with the new one too?

On pinching the tubing... If pinching near the outlet stops the rattle, but pinching near the inlet makes it worse, it might be cavitation. If that's the case and your pump isn't at the bottom of the system, try moving it there. Or use a really tall filler tube to increase pressure.

You can undervolt it, but you would need a rheostat that can handle the amperage. However if you are having a cavitation issue due to the pump not getting a ready supply of water, you of course would need to fix that.

This is a new top, it rattles but it doesnt make a loud noise every now and again. If I pinch the inlet tube it makes the rattling go.

||Console|| said:
Do you have a after market top ? if so that is what is causeing the noise

Are you saying that the Petra's site mod makes the pumps noisy?

I changed the inlet of the pump, rather than having the inlet and the output perpendicular to eachother, I have connected them so they are next to eachother and parallel, the pump is now silent!

Seems that when they are at the right angle configuration they make a lot of noise, must be the water hitting the impeller and causing it to scrape the top- which will also wear the impeller down.

That's really odd. I've never heard of anyone else having that problem with any of the aftermarket tops or with the DIY mod.

andyl33t said:
I changed the inlet of the pump, rather than having the inlet and the output perpendicular to eachother, I have connected them so they are next to eachother and parallel, the pump is now silent!

Seems that when they are at the right angle configuration they make a lot of noise, must be the water hitting the impeller and causing it to scrape the top- which will also wear the impeller down.
It moves less water and that's the reason for it being quiet. Pretty much normal feature with aftermarket tops. Pump would be even louder if center inlet would be used and the center inlet would be 1/2id.

Seems unlikely that water could make a rattling noise on its own.

Back