• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Intel setup (E6700 P5W Team Group PC2-8000)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

It's about time to build a new rig and I want to go the Intel route.

I recall with at least DFI there were issues with certain brands of RAM so before I make any concrete plans I was hoping to get some input on my current wishlist.

CPU: E6600
$224 after the 22nd (or so I hear)

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
$193 @ newegg

RAM: Patriot eXtreme Performance 2x2GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-12 @ 2.0V
$350 @ newegg

Vid Card: EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
$560 @ newegg

HSF: Scythe Infinity w/ 2x Silverstone FM121 Fans
$58 @ newegg and
$32 for both @ newegg

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-520HX
$130 @ newegg

I've been away from Intel for a few years (had a couple of 2.4C's) so correct me if I'm wrong, but with the CPU's 1066FSB and the RAM's 1000MHz DDR speed, I should be able to set the FSB to 533 with a 10x CPU multi and run 1:1 right? I read you can get the 667MHz DDR set to 500MHz by bumping the voltage but I don't want to burn the chips out early, I wouldn't be able to run 1:1, and running 4 sticks I'd be more likely to have one that doesn't want to run that high.

Then again, any OC on the CPU would need to be reflected in the mem as well so if I want to get 3.4GHz I'd most likely have to give the mem some more juice to stay 1:1, if that's even possible. That'd need 680 MHz on the RAM which is over 25% OC (again if I remember Intel OC'ing correctly).
The calculations are no longer accurate since the CPU and mem have changed.

3.4 is just an arbitrary number, I think I read here that that's about the max you're gonna see with the E6700 on air but I could be mistaken.

Everything else for the rig I think I should be able to re-use... DVD drive, hard drives (2x RAID-0 shouldn't be a problem with this board right?), I need 2 PCI slots (1 for sound card 1 for TV tuner... might this be a problem if I do decide to go SLI? I read about nVidia's cards taking up a lot of extra slots on this mobo.)

*UPDATE*
I switched to the E6600 and slower RAM once I read how well they work together with their respective speeds, and swapped the mobo b/c the other is CF capable, not SLI.

*FINAL UPDATE*
I switched the mobo again to discourage myself from going overboard with SLI, switched the RAM for simplification of OC'ing and cost, added a new PSU and fixed the link for the Scythe Infinity and added 2 upgrade fans for it.

Total cost before shipping (and possibly tax) looks to be $1,630.93 (and that's not including all the stuff I'm re-using!)

I'm going to mull this all over and read up a little more before I push the order through... it's not like they'll process anything before Monday at the earliest anyways.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think the E6700 doesn't give any real benefit over the E6600 unless you go phase or some other form of extreme cooling.

The ram seems a bit overkill as well, DDR2 800 should get you 9 x 400 = 3.6 ghz CPU speed with 1:1 ratio, that's about the most people reach on air.

Xione said:
I could be wrong, but I think the E6700 doesn't give any real benefit over the E6600 unless you go phase or some other form of extreme cooling.

The ram seems a bit overkill as well, DDR2 800 should get you 9 x 400 = 3.6 ghz CPU speed with 1:1 ratio, that's about the most people reach on air.

thanks for the input, i read up on what you mentioned and you were right.

suggestions reflected above

Personally with the setup you have setup I would get this ram over the Team Group stuff (keep in mind I have that same team group ram) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122. I say this because for 1 its cheaper. Also for another its only 2 sticks of memory and if i am not mistaken 4 sticks will make it only run at 2T not 1T command rate. That should free up some money for you to put into some other fun toys. Looks to be a sweet system though, will definately keep my eye on this one.

~jtjuska

jtjuska said:
Personally with the setup you have setup I would get this ram over the Team Group stuff (keep in mind I have that same team group ram) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122. I say this because for 1 its cheaper. Also for another its only 2 sticks of memory and if i am not mistaken 4 sticks will make it only run at 2T not 1T command rate. That should free up some money for you to put into some other fun toys. Looks to be a sweet system though, will definately keep my eye on this one.

~jtjuska

i actually have decided to go with a 2x 2GB set because of the same reasons you posted, although i had decided this before you posted (great minds think alike!)

the set i chose however is this patriot set

i also decided on the corsair 520W PSU, and changed the mobo again to the p5b deluxe... i decided i didn't want to be tempted to go SLI by having a mobo capable of it.

All great choices on your part. That patriot RAM should treat you very well. Also a P5B Deluxe should treat you very well also.

~jtjuska

If you're getting a 6600 you'd be better off getting a P5W DH Deluxe or another 975x motherboard because with the 9 multi you'll get 3.6ghz pretty easy with 400fsb, and have great performance clock for clock vs the 965. The p5b is better suited to the cpus with lower max multis.

good points.

i did wind up switching back to that board (which was the original one i had considered, till my SLI considerations came into play) and actually put the order through a little while ago.

16 days waiting for $60 less on the CPU isnt worth it to me, considering this is basically a 3 week late 21st birthday present to myself.

all told the bill came to about $1,801 (stupid NJ tax)... i also added a mousepad since i've been using a manilla folder for about a year now

it'll probably get processed monday and get here around thurs / friday so i have until then to back up all my stuff from my RAID.

thanks for your help guys, will post back when / if i have problems!

well, the 6700 IS easier to overclock if your mobo is going to limit your fsb. It has a 10x multi, compared to the 9x on the 6600.

In everything I have seen it really doesn't matter what board your on you'll get very identical clocks on a E6700 as an E6600. Most people with E6700's sit right around 3.6 - 3.8 depending if they are on air or on water and quite a few E6600's will hit 3.8 (or at least mine did :)).

~jtjuska

Back