• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Admin BS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Tired of XP's non-admin friendly properties.

Currently I've got two accounts on my PC, Admin, and PowerUser.

I want to run everything on the power user, for the most part.

When installing programs, I right click and do "Run As", then enter in my Admin login/password.

However, there are certain programs which I would like to automatically run at start-up w/o having to log in as an Admin,

IE:

Nview profiles. - I've got the monitor calibrated to the correct colors/vibrance, but it won't load unless I tell it to (won't load on start-up due to lack of rights)
Rivatuner - Won't load on start-up due to lack of rights

Is there a way I can tell XP to allow certain programs to be run regardless of rights?

Every time I exit a game under the Power User my display settings get set back to defaults instead of calibrated.

Have you tried rclicking on the program .exe | properties | Security
and adding the poweruser and tweaking the access/permission

I haven't, but I'll try that tonight.

How do I do that for the display properties though?

You have to go to Tools in My Computer and hit options. Under View, the last option is to enable simple file sharing. Clear the check mark, and your security tab will magically appear.

Oldie said:
You have to go to Tools in My Computer and hit options. Under View, the last option is to enable simple file sharing. Clear the check mark, and your security tab will magically appear.
Unless the OS is the Home version of XP, then the OP would need to boot into Safe Mode and logon as Administrator, or use the cacls.exe tool (located in %systemroot%\system32) from an admin account in normal mode in order to make changes to the NTFS file permissions.

Bah! I thought in Pro you don't need to boot into safe mode to do mundane Admin tasks. I'll try this tonight. Thanks guys.

Back