• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 vs E6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for ocing the allendale core is taking alot more volts to reach the same speeds conroe's oc to with less volts. really though, what are your needs and how much are you looking to spend?

Sheepeeshaun said:
I've been looking at C2D's recently and I'm wondering if the extra cache on the E6600 is worth the extra ££'s. Maybe this is a case of "buy cheaper and overclock to more costly speeds" or does the extra 2 mb of cache really help things move smoothly?

Wait 15 days for the E6420, 4mb cache and a true conroe core. AND, then it will only be $185 (whatever that is in pounds, is £ pounds?). That's what I'm doing.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Wait 15 days for the E6420, 4mb cache and a true conroe core. AND, then it will only be $185 (whatever that is in pounds, is £ pounds?). That's what I'm doing.
Dan

I would also have to agree that the E6420 looks like a good choice.

April 22nd is the target date for the release of the E6420 and E6320, plus the projected price cuts on the entire line of Intel chips.

The link below is to a nice review that attempts to address some of these cache vs FSB questions that are being asked, in addition to comparing the Intel chips to the latest AMD chips.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6420.html

All in all, a pretty informative job done at Xbit Labs.

Sheepeeshaun said:
So a conroe cored 4 mb version of the E6400 is coming out? If only I had known, I wouldn't have wasted all that time looking at ebay :mad:

What kind of overclocks can we expect on the E6420(8x)/E6320(7x) ?

Per the overclocking section of the previously linked article....

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6420_11.html

They got 3.25, 3.29 and 3.72, repectively, from the E4400, E6320 and E6420.

As always, it pays to get lucky (luck of the draw plays a huge part).

just remember guys all the cherry picked conroe cores are going into quad core cpus atm. dont expect to see good ocing dual core's till intel finally get the quad core in one package. even then though we might start seeing those in dual core cpu's with the other 2 cores disabled.

Evilsizer said:
just remember guys all the cherry picked conroe cores are going into quad core cpus atm. dont expect to see good ocing dual core's till intel finally get the quad core in one package. even then though we might start seeing those in dual core cpu's with the other 2 cores disabled.

cant wait... another bsel mod? :santa:

Evilsizer said:
just remember guys all the cherry picked conroe cores are going into quad core cpus atm. dont expect to see good ocing dual core's till intel finally get the quad core in one package.

i seriously doubt ALL of the good cores are going into the quads. i'm guessing intel sells at least 10x more dual cores than they do quads with respect to home users. you don't need a 'cherry picked' core to get a good overclock. i don't think my cpu is 'cherry' at all, but it clocks real nice. ;)

and its not like they need to stockpile a lot of good cores for upcoming Conroe releases (like higher clocked or lower wattage models), because penryn with the 45nm shrink will be taking over at the top end and laptop market shortly.

early results at XS show some really nice results with these new cpu's, so i would still have high hopes.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i seriously doubt ALL of the good cores are going into the quads. i'm guessing intel sells at least 10x more dual cores than they do quads with respect to home users. you don't need a 'cherry picked' core to get a good overclock. i don't think my cpu is 'cherry' at all, but it clocks real nice. ;)

and its not like they need to stockpile a lot of good cores for upcoming Conroe releases (like higher clocked or lower wattage models), because penryn with the 45nm shrink will be taking over at the top end and laptop market shortly.

early results at XS show some really nice results with these new cpu's, so i would still have high hopes.

In all seriousness I have to agree with your assessment hUMANbEATbOX. From 99.9 % of what I've read about the dual core 6420 being a good OC'er and my own experience having one (I'm not exactly an extreme OC'er, I fold 24/7)
I don't see where Intel would stockpile cores for their quad Conroe. They already have a new 45 nm core with the penryn and I imagine they're concentrating on it rather than the dual core 65 nm cpus, either dual or quad.

well guys penryn is still not out yet in any form for retail. the fact is that since the 65nm is going to run warmer then 45nm. intel has to do some for the server/EE segement to try and keep the TDP down as much as possible. Even though intel list 65watt TDP for xeon lga775's the lower vid for the ones out there translates into lower TDP. intel is just using the max voltage listed for the max TDP.

my point is, intel sells 10x ++ more duals as than they do quads. there is no way all of the good cores are going to quads, because they don't make enough quads for ALL of the good cores to go there. MAYBE most of the lower vid cores are going there, but who cares outside of intel? their chips have to run default speeds with the stock cooler....that's all they care about.

my cpu has a vid of 1.325. so what? higher vid and higher voltage means nothing to us overclockers who are willing to slap crazy cooling on our cpus. some cpus scale better with volts than others. i have seen lots of cpus with 1.325 as their vid out OC cpus with a lower vid. its all luck of the draw when it comes to running over stock vcore.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
my point is, intel sells 10x ++ more duals as than they do quads. there is no way all of the good cores are going to quads, because they don't make enough quads for ALL of the good cores to go there. MAYBE most of the lower vid cores are going there, but who cares outside of intel? their chips have to run default speeds with the stock cooler....that's all they care about.

my cpu has a vid of 1.325. so what? higher vid and higher voltage means nothing to us overclockers who are willing to slap crazy cooling on our cpus. some cpus scale better with volts than others. i have seen lots of cpus with 1.325 as their vid out OC cpus with a lower vid. its all luck of the draw when it comes to running over stock vcore.

You're LYING... LIAAAAAAAAAR!

Wait... didn't read what you said... gimmie a minute.

Okay. Read it. You're telling the truth. Any man crazy enough to connect his air conditioner to his motherboard using a cardboard box is a force to be reckoned with. :beer:

If you got a board and ram to handle it the E6420 would be the better pick. If your going to get a E6600 and use the lower multi, then get a E6420. If your getting a 965 board get a E6420, if you get a 975 board get the E6600. Pretty simple ;)

IMO the old E6400 and the new E6420's are at the sweet spot for FSB for air OCing. Where you can max out the ram and or the CPU with nice yet not over the top expensive equipment.

BTW Doubt all the "good cores" are going into Quads. More likely they are just selected and put in. Its not like Conroe's even need to be binned since nearly all of them as long as you got good equipment can hit the 3Ghz mark without much of a sweat.

Back