• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd internet problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Today I got called up to go work on a computer and I was told the internet did not work. So I get there pull up ipconfig and windows is getting a valid IP with the correct gateway. Next I ping the router, which it talks back, next I ping google, and google also talks back. However if I try to use Firefox, Internet Explorer, portable Firefox, or any program that tries to get on the internet, it claims it cant reach the internet.

I was able to get on for like 1.5 minutes after I rebooted the computer, then it took a crap. The computer did have a few trojans but AVG healed those up before I came, and I also did a scan. I found no spyware or viruses, and as far as I can tell everything is set up right.

Any ideas why I can ping google, but not use a internet browser to get to it?

Thanks

Try using "HiJack This" to find hiding programs in the startup sequence.
My neighbor had a evil little piece of software hiding that was forwarding all the internet programs to 127.0.0.1, so IE was getting "page cannot be displayed" on every connection attempt even though the modem and the accelerator software had no problems connecting.
You could see that 127... address for half a second in the info bar at the bottom of the IE window (ya know the one that shows what page your loading).
The evil prog had a file name that was just a string of numbers, and removing it in HiJack This solved the problem and allowed scans of AdAware and AVG to find all kinds of things in a safe mode scan (which it didn't before).

Anyway, maybe that's what you're seeing...free to try.

Agree with the above poster.....

Sounds like a DNS redirect....typing the IP directly in to the browser takes the DNS servers out of the picture ..

crosshairs said:
Agree with the above poster.....

Sounds like a DNS redirect....typing the IP directly in to the browser takes the DNS servers out of the picture ..
It seems like some kind of redirect, but ping is able to reslove google.com

However whenever I try using any programs like IE, FF, itunes, AIM anything it won't connect. I have tried IPs in FF and IE also and still no luck.

Back