• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard-disk must have software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh yes. I'm looking more at defragmenting software and hard disk utilities. And just to make it complete you can add in hard drive diagnostics, although it's already in the sticky.

I also like O&O Defrag 8.5. Very deep defragging, and you can even re-organize your whole HD by File Location or by "Last Used", or just do a very deep "Compacting" of the drive's data.

Spinrite is a good recovery tool to have on hand IMO.

ATTO (the 256MB version, not the regular 32MB version) is also a great benchmarking tool to have on hand, and it won't fudge your actual transfer speeds - even on my RAID-5 card with 256MB of DDR333 RAM! Other HD Benchmarks will use my card's onboard RAM, and show insanely fast (impossibly fast) HD transfers. This is the only free one I have found that accurately shows bandwidth on cards with a large internal cache.

:cool:

I've got the trial version of PerfectDisk 8. Exactly how good is the management of the layout.ini files that PerfectDisk 8 manages?

Randyman, I think O&O Defrag has released a new version. V8.6.

SavageBasher said:
I used to use Perfect Disk, but recently I found O&O, and it kicks PD's ***. :p
How so? I've used both and though O&O has a few more options to defrag with(by date, last modified, etc.), I can't say if it's better or not.

WinDirStat (Freeware)

Falled in love with this piece of powerfull proggy when it helped me spotted a "huge" chunk of space used by forgotten & no longer used DVD ISO files, and they were buried in deep-deep nested folders. :D

Highly recommended ! Though you won't use it everyday, you'll appreciate it at the moment when you do house keeping at your drive.

WinDirStat
(Freeware with GNU General Public License aka source code included !) :)

Screen shot (click em for large version)
Courtesy of WinDirStat​

bing said:
Falled in love with this piece of powerfull proggy when it helped me spotted a "huge" chunk of space used by forgotten & no longer used DVD ISO files, and they were buried in deep-deep nested folders. :D

Highly recommended ! Though you won't use it everyday, you'll appreciate it at the moment when you do house keeping at your drive.

WinDirStat
(Freeware with GNU General Public License aka source code included !) :)

Screen shot (click em for large version)
Courtesy of WinDirStat​

What exactly does this ultility do?

Rickster said:
What exactly does this ultility do?

It creates a pretty graph of all the files on your hard disk, makes it really easy to clean up the drive (it shows larger files as larger rectangles and color codes by file type).

Back