• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you determine heatsink compatibilty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdarwish

Hello,
I have gotten a lot of great help here before and couldn't find what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask.

I have a GeForce 6800 GT card and am thinking of getting a new heatsink for it. The one that comes with the card hass a very loud fan, so I am looking for something quieter.

So my problem in searching on eBay or reading reviews, how can I tell if the heatsink/fan they are discussing will fit my card specifically. I know sometimes they will say THIS HEATSINK is for THESES cards, but sometimes they say 'the 6xxx series of cards' or something. Is there some layout pattern, like say the ATX specification for motherboards and cases?

Is there anyway I can determine what cards my heatsink will go with and what heatsinks I can replace it with?

Thanks,
ramzy

You'll have to check the manufacturers website for compatibility. Often a series will have a 'reference' cooler which all use the same cooler hardware. (ie- a heatsink that is compatible with the 6xxx series) If you're still confused you can try to search for someone with that specific cooler and card, or search for reviews and see what cards they are using. If nothing else you can post back here and we should be able to tell you right away. (search first though)

yeah each vid card has holes and clips and bit and peaces they use to mount the heat sink. No matter the brand, a series of cards (6xxx series for example means 6200 cards up to 6800 cards) have the same mounting holes. There is usually a difference between series though. for example 6xxx series coolers may not fit 7xxx series cards. There are a few exceptions to this rule. For example AGP and PCI-E cards have different mountings holes even with the same series.

In short, there is no "standard" like ATX is for mobos, but most coolers are created for a perticular series of cards and will fit 90% of that series of cards. The basic rule is that manufacturs always have a compatability list on thier site. Also you can ask here on OCF if you can't find the answer you want.

I suggest you have a look at the Zalman 700-CU cooler. it fits the 6800 seris and is a very good cooler indeed.

Back