• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Case of the Fitting 680i Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lostmantech

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has the Lian Li PC-A10B case with an EVGA 680i mobo inside it. If so, what heatsink are you using? I'm considering buying the case and mobo, but I want to know a heatsink that will definately fit ON the motherboard, and clear the top of the case without having to remove the top mounted 120mm fan.

Thanks

-Lost

PS....the title is clever right?:shrug:

I just built a PC with PC-A10A case (silver version) and a EVGA 680i sytem board. I am using a ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler.

Newegg link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020

This heatsink is HUGE, and it fitted perfectly between the rear and the top fan of the case. ( ican't find the charger for my camera so no pics :bang head ) I was able to put everything together on a slide out system tray and just slide it back with no problems. If you are curious it will also fit 8800 GTX like a glove.

Great case - lots of room, great air circulation, quiet and looks great. I read around and it sounded like the black aluminum can get scratched up easy so i opted for the silver one.

Perfect

Wow,

awesome, sounds like the same set-up I'm about to go with. Thanks alot.

As far as the scratching, I read that too, but I'm just going to try and be careful with it and not treat it too badly. I'm a big fan of black.:cool:

-Lost

Real Quick,

I'm just thinking, and that heatsink you have has the fan mounted vertical to the mobo and is a 110mm fan. In your opinion, would a 120mm fan that is oriented flat with the motherboard clear the cases top fan?

I know the ThermalRight SI-128 fits the 680i mobo, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't get in the way of the cpu case fan, so my only concern is if a 120mm would hit the fan on top of the case.

Thanks

-Lost

hmm... not really sure. The setup i described above fits but it is snug. A little bigger might touch the top fan. This heatsink is huge though i think something bigger would overcompansating :p

Back