• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I completely kill Automatic Updates?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I want to wreak absolute devastation to Automatic Updates on my WinXP/Win2k machines. I know how to turn off the automatic updating, but how can I turn off the balloon messages that appear saying "your computer may be at risk"?

BTW, this is legit Windows, I'm not trying to do anything illegal...I've just had it up to here with MS automatically rebooting my computers whenever they feel its necessary, and I've had it with their annoying popups. Apple doesn't pull that crap, you turn off their automatic updating and they never bug you about it again. Anyways, thanks gurus.

Also, if anyone knows how to kill the same messages that Norton Internet Security shows when Automatic Updates are turned off, that would be really helpful as well. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that disabling the "Automatic Updates" service will cause Windows Update to bomb even if you attempt it manually. The service needs to be running for updates to be installed, automatically or not. You can always disable Automatic Updates the "normal" way though and still have manual updates work.

As for the annoying warnings, Pinky's spot on. You can disable the Security Center's warnings for any component it watches.

IAmMoen said:
uninstall windows
I'm half-tempted to delete that unhelpful bit of post-padding, but since I've got to catch a bus, I'll leave it. Hopefully it will serve as an example of how *not* to post for others.

JigPu

disabling automatic updates *does* cause manually visiting ms update to fail. same with BITS and... one other service, I think.

If you don't mind manually starting them via the services applet, you can go can this route, but you *will* have to manually start those services to use ms update.

Disable automatic updates and then use autopatcher. I do that on my family's computers, since they are on dialup.

Disable AutoMatic Updates, Bits, and Cryptographic Services. No more warnings. But like said if you want to use Microsoft/Windows Update, you need to reenable them.

I just made a script that starts and stops them. I turn on the on script when I want to update, and turn on the off script when I'm done

JigPu said:
I'm half-tempted to delete that unhelpful bit of post-padding, but since I've got to catch a bus, I'll leave it. Hopefully it will serve as an example of how *not* to post for others.

JigPu
For what it's worth, it *is* a way to turn off auto-updates, but if you intend to keep using Windows it should be considered a deprecated method of doing so. :D

I believe you can divorce Norton from the updates monitoring role by twiddling its preferences panel; something like "Don't show warnings".

In XP go to the little shield thing and turn off automatic updates. Then go to control panel administrative tools open services and shut down automatic updates service. Set its startup to manual and your done.

In 2000 just go to the stupid little world thing that pops up when you first install 2k and select the turn off automatic updates.

Turning off the security center in services.msc will also not give you that pop up balloon after you turn off automatic updates.

WOW, so many responses so quickly... thanks guys! Pinky, turning off the alert settings in Security Center worked, thanks, I've never noticed that setting before.

Thanks for the help everyone!

JigPu said:
JigPu

Didn't mean to be a jerk or anything. I just saw a chance for a bit of a light hearted joke. I deleted it.

an alternative would allow you to archive the same goal in XP-Pro

its used by us for our servers but they have full blown group policy

start+run --> "Gpedit.msc"

expand::
computer configuration
--> administrative templates -->windows updates

I very much doubt that that is in home since the pulled the good stuff out.

aftermath said:
an alternative would allow you to archive the same goal in XP-Pro

its used by us for our servers but they have full blown group policy

start+run --> "Gpedit.msc"

expand::
computer configuration
--> administrative templates -->windows updates

I very much doubt that that is in home since the pulled the good stuff out.
Correct Gpedit isn't included in Home edition

You can turn off the automatic updates through the security center. This means it won't go online to check for updates until you manually tell it to.

Go to Start<Control Panel<Security Center<Automatic Updates:

automaticupdates.jpg

Click "Turn off Automatic Updates:

The way to turn off that stupid baloon.

Go to Start<Run type services.msc. Scroll down to Security Center, right click, Properties and hit the drop-down and select disable.

securitycenter.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thideras

Back