• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor Fanboyism

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipersfate

This IS NOT Intel vs. AMD.

This is not a debate!

Just an observation that I've made within my friends.

I've used Intel processors for a number of years. (Pentium 60 was my first sytem)

I've also used AMD processors for a number of years (AMD K6-2 400Mhz)

My friend is an Intel fanboy. Normally, I would be too. But I have the best of both worlds. C2D Mac, and AMD64 3700+.

I don't know why people hate one or the other. If you get a nice enough processor from either company, you won't have a problem.

The Newegg sweeps that is going on now with the 6000+ etc etc.

And, I showed my friend that. "too bad it has an inferior processor"
I was like WTF?

What is the difference. I mean, Of course a C2Q would spank a 6000+ etc.
But why? I mean. What makes the difference between Intel and AMD?

For a LONG time AMD processors outperformed INTEL processers at much cheaper price. That is not the case any longer but I believe that is where the fanboyism came from. Neither has done anything for me to love or hate one or the other. Now that I'm using a MAC and probably will from now on, I don't really have a choice anyway.

I think the true fanboys are showing their colors now. If you check back on a lot of peoples posts in the past i am sure they were "AMD FOR LIFE!!1!one!!1", but look at their sigs now and i'm sure they are running a c2d setup.

Me, I don't care what cpu it is. I just want the most bang for my buck. I have had 2 Intel systems, and about 5-6 AMD systems. I could care less what company makes my computer, I just want what is better at that time.

I am sure AMD will come out in the future with a CPU that'll beat Intel, and if the price is right i will probably go back to AMD.

I feel ya on that. I just got my Mac. I just can't stand when people just completely hate one and not the other. For us here it's different. We overclock etc here. But for base usage (internet, gaming), it almost doesn't matter.

FudgeNuggets said:
For a LONG time AMD processors outperformed INTEL processers at much cheaper price. That is not the case any longer but I believe that is where the fanboyism came from. Neither has done anything for me to love or hate one or the other. Now that I'm using a MAC and probably will from now on, I don't really have a choice anyway.

Also it could have stemmed earlier when AMD processors were almost a direct knock off of Intel.

I always try to get the best for my $. When I got my current processor intel had released some rushed products in the past so I stayed with AMD. When I build a new system I will have to way my options, but Intel is starting to look nice.

if people ask for the best performance, i recommend Intel

anything else, i recommend AMD

I myself choose not to buy Intel because of their past, and possibly present, business practices. I also want to do my part in helping the underdog, and therefor, be one of the reasons there is competition for others to benefit from.

But am I a fanboy? I don't think so. I think the term fanboy gets used too often on people. Most, not all, fanboys tend to be those who call others fanboys. A post should be judged on it's content and merit, and discussed as right or wrong. But no forum exists without people resulting to flaming or name-calling.

I think the major problem is people posting threads in the wrong place, which I myself have done. I think the AMD and Intel categories should get sub-categories, one for discussion and one for news. I know there's a "General CPU" thread, but I'm talking about discussion and news threads specifically for AMD and for Intel. It would take alot of traffic out of what would be threads with technical questions, and the discussion/news threads themselves would get traffic since they're not as out of sight as say, this thread is. Mods have been pretty good about moving certain threads, but I think they could be better too.

i show no loyalty. i used to be gung-ho about amd, but it's tough to justify sticking with them after the past ~8 months or so. i'd like to go amd again, but will only do so if they regain the performance/watt/price crown.

The way I see it. Once you drop the sink on top of it. You can't tell which is which. It just happens some brands do better then others at certian times for what I want.

I do like the flavor of Pepsi over Coke... Though Coca~Cola makes for a good Rum mixer. To me a brand is just that. Something I know what to expect. Not that I am loyal to any brand. They do not pay my bank account to be loyal, or have a philsophy to earn my loyalty. As a consumer, nothing makes me loyal. I am all for what suites me as a consumer.

It is always funny seeing someone pay good money and announce how loyal they are. I thought loyalty was something you pledged and took to heart. Not pay a company for the privialge.

i went to amd because of price/performance vs intel ... and im not a very big fan of some of intel's design and buisness practices, particularly as i live literally under the shadow of 1 of their major facilities, this does however put me on the fence currently as from a price/performance standpoint currently intel is a better buy ... am i fanboi ... no, i dont think so ... do i have a bad taste ... definately ... and that does color my buying decisions ...

Im not only AMD foreva.. but i am also.. SOCKET 754 FOREVA!!! xD I dont see why everyone has to jump on the new fad.. aka dual core.. while single core CPUs still spank applications and such. I mean.. my 3200+ is about 4 years old.. yet it still plays all the new games.. and will continue to I bet for a year or two more.

Fanboyism is horrible. I have a buddy who loves intel. I even posed the question,"If AMD came out with the worlds fastest and cheapest processor that hands down beat every intel chip out there, Would you buy the AMD chip?" Know what his response was??? He would not buy the chip, he would stick with Intel. I just don't understand at all. I go where the performance is, if I can afford it :)

I think fanboyism is kinda dumb. I mean, its OK to like one company over another, but when you flatout deny one product sucks just because its made by the apposing company, you need help. I like AMD, but Im not gonna go and say "OMG C2D IS FOR T3H N00BZ!!!!111ONE" because Ive seen articles and posts from other users saying at this point in time the C2D is the better cpu on the market.

I guess I'm kind of an AMD fanboy. Pretty much every computer I have is AMD. It's mostly that I like to maintain competition in the market and AMD has always been and continues to be much better bang for your buck than intel. C2D is a nice processor, but you pay for it.

AMD is kind of ****ing me off lately with the socket madness. The A64's are available in so many different sockets (probably because of the integrated memory controllers), but I really liked how the Athlons were almost all socket compatible for years (if you don't count the slot processors, which were only out for a short time very early on... almost everything else was socket A).

Also, AMD's customer service was VERY good to me on multiple occasions, so that made me keep going back. CS is huge to me. Treat me right and I'll keep buying from you. Treat me like crap or ignore me and you'll never get my business again.

I have been using AMD since my K6-2 350MHz. AMD is not top dog right now, but that is not a big deal. I belive in being loyal to companys that treat you well, AMD has been good to me, and hasnt given me any reason to look at intel. Not saying intel is crap, just I personally stick to AMD.

Oroka Sempai said:
I have been using AMD since my K6-2 350MHz. AMD is not top dog right now, but that is not a big deal. I belive in being loyal to companys that treat you well, AMD has been good to me, and hasnt given me any reason to look at intel. Not saying intel is crap, just I personally stick to AMD.

That is far from bieng a fanboy. You admit that Intel is not crap, even though your first pick is AMD. Having great experiences with a product and sticking it out. It is a sign, that you found a brand you trust.

Sometime product loyalty and trust can be confused. If you were loyal, you would dismiss Intel altogether. Without giving a reason why AMD is your favorite product. A person never has to justify product loyalty. They just believe that the thing is the best no questions asked or reason needed. Trusting a proiduct. You give reasons why you found the trust in the product. If a production issue happened, you might consider switching to a product that better suited you(hypothetically).

Myself I trust AMD and some of its product lineup. Now if something were happen to that trust. You better believe I would hop ship in a second. If I was a brand loyal type, I would turn a blind eye and keep using the brand.

Your comment brings up a thought of the anti-fanboy. Well not a anti-fanboy per sey, but the fan of hating a product blindly. The brand name Thermatake comes to mind. Toss out a thread titled 'Thermaltake rocks!', see what happens. The anti-fanboys will come out of the woodwork to do some good old fashioned bashing. Even though it does generally deserve some of it. In turn it has some gems in it's company product lines.

Six of one or half a dozen of the other...

Bang for the buck baby!

Right now C2D pwns X2 when it comes to SMP_FAH so that's where I spend my build bux. I hope to get a Q6600 after they drop below three C notes later this summer. Then I'll use my E6600 for another FAH layer on my cheap ASRock board and old socket A parts.

I agree with you. I want bang for the buck, not just owning a brand name.

I love my AMD3700+, and it was cheap, but I will always have a place in my room for intel as well.

Back