• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opera browser final for Wii released!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
The Opera browser went live early this morning. I got an update notice about it after I was done playing SPM.

It requires a firmware update, afterwhich you can go and download the new version of the browser.

They have cleaned it up considerably. It is much more streamlined and faster than the trial version. Also, it's still free, and will be until June 2007.

So hop to it! Give it a download an see the improvements for yourself.

(Yes, I posted this from my Wii)

Wait so after June you'll have to pay for the Wii Opera browser???

I can't believe that Nintendo would pick a company who would make you pay for the browser.

Browsers on limited res and small screens always stinks. Its barely tolerable on a Balckberry or the newer Treo devices. I would hardly use my Dell Axim for browsing for this reason and it had a sharp 640 x 480 screen, it was just too small and you had to scroll all over the place to view the whole screen and you can't scroll till the whole thing loads, and it takes much longer than it does on a PC, etc...

Hopefully we'll see more mobile style web pages, they are much better for non-PC browsers.

why would people browse with wii if they have a pc? and the browser in wii will cost us after june? i don't get it...

Shelnutt2 said:
Wait so after June you'll have to pay for the Wii Opera browser???

I can't believe that Nintendo would pick a company who would make you pay for the browser.
No! When you've downloaded the final Opera browser before June 30th, the browser will remain free, even after June 30th. But when you've downloaded the browser after June 30th, you'll need to pay 500 Wii points.

@ FudgeNuggets:

The DS browser stinks and is a complete waste of money: NO flash support, no audio support and very slow at loading. It comes with an expansion card with goes into the GBA slot with a hilarious amount of 4MB. The damn DS browser will cost you about $40, while the Wii browser has more for $5.

It's cool for showing youtube videos/etc. My friends and I are planning on watching this just for kicks and giggles on the wii.

tenchi86 said:
/\That, and just when you are to lazy to go your PC. I know some people also use it for chatting using services like AIM.

Seriously? Damn. The on-screen keyboard, while easy to navigate, is a complete pain in the *** to type with.

After securing my mates wireless connection to his Wii I just checked manually and it updated and came up with the full version of Opera. I agree it's alot better and faster but I don't think the white backgrounds will do peoples TV screens any good on my mates old TV everytime it was a pure white background. You can hear a really high pitched sound thats annoying even on his new 32" HDMI TV it does it.

super5 said:
why would people browse with wii if they have a pc? and the browser in wii will cost us after june? i don't get it...

easy.

my half brother stayed the night, and i was on my PC playing CNC3 and other stuff, and he was on the wii, checking out digg.com, youtube video's, and watching other video's.

not the best interface for typing, but it works for watching video's, and checking digg articles.

other than that....yeah, i use my PC for nearly ALL my internet browsing, but the wii browser DOES come in handy when a friend is over, and wants to show me something on youtube, or some video when i'm playing a game.

I must agree with the Wii browser being FTW when friends are over and we're all browsing YouTube. We each passed the remote around and showed off videos, so much easier than having to pop on my PC, search around, ask for search strings, etc. Just toss the remote to person X, he types in the video name, and we're watching. Great stuff.

Back