• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L2Nitros

Registered
Hi,

I am giving my PC a makeover and was thinking about replacing my power supply. I am looking for something that will operate at minimal temperature with low noise. There are so many different power supplies on the market how can I ensure that compatibility is met with my current hardware?

My video card is an Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra and I am aware it needs a 550 Watt power supply. Also my motherboard is an ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800-E but I am unsure if there are any hardware requirements to be met there.

Thanks for your help!

You should look at the Seasonic S12+ 550W. They are slightly more expensive but they are more efficient than the older S12 500W.

Either seasonic M12/S12/S12+ or corsair psu will do. For single gfx setup you won't need more than 500-600w. 500-600w is also blown a lot from what would be needed.

I'm quite tempted to go for the Seasonic S12+ 550W.

Do you know what the difference is between modular and non-modular power supplies?

L2Nitros said:
I'm quite tempted to go for the Seasonic S12+ 550W.

Do you know what the difference is between modular and non-modular power supplies?

easy. the modular power supplies have wires that can be removed and inserted into the power supply when or if needed. although the main wires are non-modular like the 24pin ATX. the non-modular is the exact opposite where all the wires are connected to the power supply so basically the ones you don't use will either clutter the interior of the case or will need to be routed.

Back