• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FYI: R600 detail (w/ HTPC in mind)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
New to the ATI Radeon HD 2900-series are integrated HDMI output capabilities with 5.1 surround sound. However, early images of AMD’s OEM R600 reveal dual dual-link DVI outputs, rendering the audio functions useless.
The entire AMD ATI Radeon HD 2000-family features the latest Avivo HD technology. AMD’s upgraded Avivo with a new Universal Video Decoder, also known as UVD, and the new Advanced Video Processor, or AVP. UVD previously made its debut in the OEM-exclusive RV550 GPU core. UVD provides hardware acceleration of H.264 and VC-1 high definition video formats used by Blu-ray and HD DVD. The AVP allows the GPU to apply hardware acceleration and video processing functions while keeping power consumption low.

http://dailytech.com/ATI+Releases+More+R600+Details/article6903.htm

I think instead of getting a HDMI card now, I'll just wait for a couple more weeks for the RV630/RV610 base card for my bedroom HTPC client. capable to send 5.1 channel surround sound via HDMI (nowaday's HDMI card can only send 2.1 channel non HD sound) & better AvivoHD function (better hardware acceleration for VC-1 & H.264 + lower power consumption for video process) sounds good to me already!!! ;)

hope they will be out before the month end......

would be cool to see but i thinking at the rate they are going to get r600 out that we might not see it anytime soon.

I'm waiting to see some actual benchmarks for the 8600 series and the R630 before I upgrade my HTPC's card. I'm with Landshark on hoping the products are released by month's end. I'm also building my Game PC with either an 8800 or 2900, so seeing R600 benchmarks would be nice, too :)

more today from Inquirer:

A single dual-link DVI connector has enough bandwidth to stream both video and audio in 1280x720 and 1920x1080 onto HDMI interface by using a dongle. On lower-end models, it is possible that the dongle will be skipped and that a direct HDMI connector will be placed onto the bracket.

The RV610LE will be known to the world as Radeon HD 2400 Pro, and will support 720p HD playback. If you want 1080p HD playback, you have to get a faster performing part. In addition, the HD2400Pro will be paired with DDR2 memory only, the very same chips many of enthusiasts use as their system memory - DDR2-800 or PC2-6400, 800 MHz memory. The reason for the 720p limitation is very simple - this chip heads against G86-303 chip with 64-bit memory interface, the 8300 series. It goes without saying that the RV610LE is a 64-bit chip as well.

The second in line is RV610Pro chip, branded Radeon HD 2400 XT. This pup is paired with GDDR3 memory and is the first chip able to playback Full HD video (1920x1080), thanks to the fact that this is a fully-fledged RV610 GPU, no ultra-cheap-64-bit-only-PCB. RV630 Pro is an interesting one. Formally named Radeon HD 2600 Pro, it sports the very same DDR2 memory used on HD 2400Pro and GeForce 8500GTs we have, but there are some memory controller differences that will be revealed to you as soon as we get permission to put the pictures online.

The RV630XT - the Radeon HD 2600 XT - is nearly identical to the Pro version when it comes to the GPU, but this board is a monster when it comes to memory support, just like its predecessor, the X1600XT. However, this is the only product in the whole launch day line-up that has support for both GDDR-3 and GDDR-4 memory types. Both GDDR-3 and GDDR-4 memory will end up clocked to heavens high, meaning the excellent 8600GTS will have a fearsome competitor.

I think the HD 2400XT, HD 2600Pro, and the HD 2600XT would all be a good choice for HTPC (depends on whether you game or not). I sure have my eye on those 3!

The power consumption is the most important thing, the rest of the capabilities mentioned aren't anything new. Maybe if someone is reeeally into HDMI but otherwise a SPDIF passthrough from onboard sound to a receiver ought to be fine. Pretty much all 7-series and x1k series cards, even the lowest models, can do HD playback with a decent dual-core CPU and be under 70% CPU utilization.

Last edited:
since there is no r6xx out yet and word is all the ati cores will be on 65nm.

Back