• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Wii is now 110% cooler than it was when I woke up today.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
And it's all thanks to Orb. Orb allows you to stream media off of your PC to anywhere you can have a browser window. It works great on my Wii. Now I can watch all of my fansubs and other media on my Wii from the comfort of my couch.

The Orb service is free, and the installer is spyware and adware free. Give it a shot if you haven't already. It's well worth it.

Yeah, I used to use that with my PS3. In the end though Red Kawa turned out to suite my needs better(Download not just streaming and with 60GB no reason not to download it) and also had a much nicer GUI IMO. It also is compatible with the Wii if you are wondering.

The only thing I don't like about Red Kawa's Wii Media Center X is that it will only stream FLV from your PC, whereas Orb will allow you to stream any format to your Wii.

My only niggle so far is that after about 45 minutes, the audio and video seem to glitch out and de-synch. It could just be some of my settings, or it could be a limitation of my Wii. I'll keep tinkering.

/\From what I have heard that issue you are talking about Oni is from lack of memory in the Wii. I am to tired to search due to it being 4AM but I will see if I can dig up where I heard that from tomorrow.

I did some digging on Orb's forums, and it appears that it's not just me who is having this issue, but lots of people are having it. It also doesn't seem isolated to the Wii.

Perhaps the Orb crew broke something in their last update. Time will tell :)

That doesn't stop Orb from being awesome, however. I can still watch all my anime-type shows that are 30 minutes or less, and stream all my music and stuff.

Bah, ORB and Wine don't play nicely together, gonna have to try Red Kawas Media Center...

Kawas and Linux don't mix either. No streaming audio/video to my Wii for me...

Ah well, my desktop is connected to my TV anyway...

Last edited:
Well here is one more you guys can try. It was originally designed for the PSP but now also works with the PS3, and Wii. (Also Oni this is what I was mistaking the Ram issue before. The creator of this program was talking about how he was having a problem streaming Data because of it, but think he managed to fix it.)

Tunnel

As for Linux, I have not heard of any that are fully working yet.

ORB is a great idea and will work in a pinch on the Wii. I'm sure Wony will come up with something better on their own. MicroSoft right now has the lock on this with Media Center, MediaCenter Connect and TransCode 360. It turns the 360 into a MediaCenter Extender and you can play all your content from your PC streaming on the fly to the 360 and it works flawlessly without reverse engineering and caching through a browser. You can even play your own iTunes/MP3 library WHILE playing 360 games.

I'm not knocking the Wii (I have one), it just wasn't meant for this and if you think ORB kick ***, you should try the 360's MediaCenter features.

I don't know, I really don't think Sony will produce any products like these. They are kind of just leaving it open for people to do with Linux and the Web Browser. Red Kawa may not stream correctly(Never tried it) but for straight copying all my files over it works perfectly. The main thing I like about it over Orb though is last I used Orb you had to select what would be shown, with Red Kawa you can just browse your whole PC and pick which you want. Anyway Sony could surprise me, I mean I would have though Xbox was the system with the browser considering Microsoft makes Internet Explorer but I was wrong about that.

Yeah, you'd think they'd have a browser on it. You CAN add one via third party and ORB does work on the 360 as well, there's just no reason to use it other than the web browser if you have Vista or MCE, if you have 2K or XP you can show MS only content via WMP11, but then all your DivX, QT, AVI etc.... files are left out in the cold or reauired to be converted.

how do you get your stuff shared over the network so the Wii can see it? Ive got 7000+ songs and 30 or so movies on my PC and would like to play them on the TV or somethin, is that what this program does? How do i get the Wii to find it all?

Once you download the application and run it an IP will be given to you. Simply take the IP and type it into your consoles browser and you are then able to browse and stream data off your PC though the consoles browsers.

I cant seem to get Orb and my Wii to connect to each other. I have all the files shared on my computer in terms of media, and I can see them on my Wii when i'm broadcasting, but when I try to connect to the file, all the Wii does is sit there with the little streaming icon twirling in the center of the screen. I let it sit there for a good 20 minutes but it was a no go.

Back