• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE7 and trojans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newhit

Registered
I've upgraded (?) to IE7 and find it reasonable to use but.....................

One thing that bothers me is "Tabbed Browsing". I find it convenient but was a bit uneasy with the possibility of a Trojan attaching itself to one of the tabs and if you happen to visit somewhere (Bank/e-tailer) your details could be stolen. I have spyware and virus detection but was wondering if this kind of attack was a problem.

I make sure that only one window is in use for banking and transactions but is this form of attack noteworthy or just paranoia on my part.

newhit said:
I've upgraded (?) to IE7 and find it reasonable to use but.....................

One thing that bothers me is "Tabbed Browsing". I find it convenient but was a bit uneasy with the possibility of a Trojan attaching itself to one of the tabs and if you happen to visit somewhere (Bank/e-tailer) your details could be stolen. I have spyware and virus detection but was wondering if this kind of attack was a problem.

I make sure that only one window is in use for banking and transactions but is this form of attack noteworthy or just paranoia on my part.

If you get a trojan, it doesn't attach to tabs in IE7, they run on your computer...so it doesn't matter if you have 1 tab open or 1000, it runs in the background.

If your worried about things like this, follow the steps in this post. I made it specially for spyware and things running on your computer:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=497648

Thideras

It's a good question, the standard advice is not to browse anywhere (using other browser instances or tabs), else when your logged into a sensative site. It's why banks force a logoff after a short period of time. How IE7 deals with this I'm not sure but your right it could be easy to forget you are logged on somewhere using tabbed browsing. IE7 does offer more protection so you might be alright but I'd play it safe.

Well you are somewhat correct. If you are viewing a page in one tab that is running an exploit it would be possible to log all data on your computer. (Depends on exploit of course) though such sites are pretty rare and I doubt you will run into one with any common sense.(A bigger concern would be a trojan that downloads a keylogger) So in the end with a Firewall, and the most recent updates I would really not worry about this.

tenchi86 said:
Well you are somewhat correct. If you are viewing a page in one tab that is running an exploit it would be possible to log all data on your computer. (Depends on exploit of course) though such sites are pretty rare and I doubt you will run into one with any common sense.(A bigger concern would be a trojan that downloads a keylogger) So in the end with a Firewall, and the most recent updates I would really not worry about this.

Yes, I understand this, but he was specifically talking about trojans...:bday:

tenchi86 said:

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. Sorry for not being clear. A keylogger was my real concern and I quoted a trojan without defining which type properly. I do have a hardware router and virus/spyware detectors, but using "tabbed browsing" recklessly concerned me (I know, don't be reckless :) )

newhit said:
Yes, this is what I was trying to say. Sorry for not being clear. A keylogger was my real concern and I quoted a trojan without defining which type properly. I do have a hardware router and virus/spyware detectors, but using "tabbed browsing" recklessly concerned me (I know, don't be reckless :) )

I don't know, maybe this is me, but you sound way over the top when it comes to security. I run no firewall, no virus scanner because I know what I browse...and I know how to get rid of just about anything.

In my opinion using IE is a security problem by itself, try using Firefox(with adbock plus, dutchblock, no script, adblock filter set g updater, and cookie safe) and privoxy. In combination they will give you much greater control and security than IE 7

QuicKSwitcH said:
firefox is SO much better...

While this may be true, saying just that does not reinforce your point what-so-ever. But I do agree with you. :bday:

thideras said:
I don't know, maybe this is me, but you sound way over the top when it comes to security. I run no firewall, no virus scanner because I know what I browse...and I know how to get rid of just about anything.

I respect your knowledge and experience and I must state that I avoid (yes, you've only got my word for it) the obvious areas of possible threats. However, as a casual surfer, I was just wondering if I should be more careful than I am. Sorry if I sounded OTT.

PS
You do not use a firewall, and I have to ask if that is a tad risky, even for one of your obvious knowledge.

Again, sorry if I'm labouring the point.

newhit said:
I respect your knowledge and experience and I must state that I avoid (yes, you've only got my word for it) the obvious areas of possible threats. However, as a casual surfer, I was just wondering if I should be more careful than I am. Sorry if I sounded OTT.

PS
You do not use a firewall, and I have to ask if that is a tad risky, even for one of your obvious knowledge.

Again, sorry if I'm labouring the point.
No problem. Each person has how much they want to be secure, yours is different and I respect that.

I'm also on a very large network with well over 5 firewalls and 24 hour monitoring. I should have specified that, I don't run software firewalls.

Back