• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6420 or E6600 if all I want is 3.2ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smallghost

Registered
I am assuming it will be E6420 since 400 x 8 = 3.2ghz and I can just run ddr2-800 ram @stock. I have been out of the loop for at least 3 years so I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff. Thanks in advance.

This is truer for c2d's more than almost any other cpu in recent memory, mhz is like cocaine with c2d. I don't think thats "all" you'll want. :)

From what I have read, although the newer E6600's tend to be able to do 3.2 Ghz with some extra voltage, I just got a E6420 and it is pushing 3.2Ghz with stock voltage and stock cooling. I would save the money and go for a E6420 or E6320 (don't know how well these are doing).

Tyranos said:
This is truer for c2d's more than almost any other cpu in recent memory, mhz is like cocaine with c2d. I don't think thats "all" you'll want. :)

how come that is SO DAMN TRUE... i wasnt satisfied with my e6600 till i was able to reach 4ghz w/ some super pi runs, cpuz screenies, and a validation... and i didnt use n e of that set fsb stuff... its called a suicied run for a reason. :beer:

lol the FIRST day i had the damn thing i told myself i wasnt gonna oc it... well that worked out like everyones new years resolution... it didnt happen... 4 hrs after i got windows up, and all programs installed i just HAD to do a lil 25% oc to 3ghz lol..

IMO wait for the april 22nd price drop and pick a e6600 up for 220ish..

currently me e6600 sits at 3ghz @ 1.225v stock is 1.325v!

Get the E6420. You'll get 3.2Ghz easily with it and save a few bucks if you buy now or even after the price drop. Heck even the E6320 is good as well but you'd have to run the memory higher is all which surely it can do.

Save the moeny to buy something else and get a E6420. Its the exact same as the E6600 just lower multi.

While my E6400 wasn't the best of batches and had a crappy VID it still hit 3.2Ghz on stock voltage. Check my sig out for what i can do on my system with all attached :)

deathman20 said:
Get the E6420. You'll get 3.2Ghz easily with it and save a few bucks if you buy now or even after the price drop. Heck even the E6320 is good as well but you'd have to run the memory higher is all which surely it can do.

Save the moeny to buy something else and get a E6420. Its the exact same as the E6600 just lower multi.

While my E6400 wasn't the best of batches and had a crappy VID it still hit 3.2Ghz on stock voltage. Check my sig out for what i can do on my system with all attached :)

I agree whole heartedly (SP) :thup: , I've got a E6420 that's only OC'ed to a measly 3.0 GHz, but I did that with my eyes closed :eh?: . There's no tellin' what kind of clock this chip is capable of in the hands of a serious OC'er :drool: . I've had way better luck with my E6400 and E6420 than with my E6600. (the E6600 is probably a "dud") and I'm not all that proficient a OC'er. I'm just learning from some of the talented people on this forum and especially from the talented Team 32 members. Go Team 32, the best on the "Net" :clap:

Unless the e6x20s are some kind of die tweak or use different wafers then it's all really just luck of the draw from one single CPU to another. Chances may increase or decrease a bit but it always comes down to that. 3.2 seems like a fairly certain thing regardless, it's pushing above 3.4-3.6 (without any insane voltage or cooling) that separates good CPUs. With the old 4MB native e63/400s I would attribute any broad differences to bad cache getting screened out.

My feeling is the 4MB cores are all the same from a given batch, might as well save some money and get the e6420. If you get a good one and some decent Ram and mobo you should be CPU limited anyway, 8*450 = 3.6G which is high for air cooling.

Last edited:
By the way, I plan to get the Intel D975XBX2 as the mobo. Not sure if that change the equation. I just want a mild overclock (2.8ghz - 3.2ghz) with some undervolting (if possible) to be my quiet and stable system, :)

MadMan007 said:
Unless the e6x20s are some kind of die tweak or use different wafers then it's all really just luck of the draw from one single CPU to another. Chances may increase or decrease a bit but it always comes down to that. 3.2 seems like a fairly certain thing regardless, it's pushing above 3.4-3.6 (without any insane voltage or cooling) that separates good CPUs. With the old 4MB native e63/400s I would attribute any broad differences to bad cache getting screened out.

Yeah know, I've heard the "luck of the draw" thing about a million times, while it's probably true in a sense. Everything I've seen (personal experience) and everything I've read (on this forum and a couple of others) tell me the newer batches of E6600's require too much vcore above 3.2 GHz and the E6420's are golden overclockers. It's hard to argue with some of the "Nets" best OC'er's :attn:

Edit: I have to state I'm not an experienced OC'er, I'm still learning, but when I installed my E6420 and was at 3.0 GHz with hardly any fuss or muss, I was impressed. :eh?:

Last edited:
smallghost said:
By the way, I plan to get the Intel D975XBX2 as the mobo. Not sure if that change the equation. I just want a mild overclock (2.8ghz - 3.2ghz) with some undervolting (if possible) to be my quiet and stable system, :)
6600 is a much safer option for an i975X.

There's a good chance the 'nets best' who have gotten the CPU technically before its release can squeeze the most out of any CPU ;) Obviously a few places were naughty and sold them early (I thought they were April 22 release?) and so other people have gotten them as well. Need more results from a wider range of people first. Perhaps they are made in a different factory and that could explain it? :shrug: The other thread has some 'G' batch #s which indicate some other factory than most previous Conroes.

I think its probably some minor fab change that will very soon trickle into the rest of the line...just my hunch.

MadMan007 said:
There's a good chance the 'nets best' who have gotten the CPU technically before its release can squeeze the most out of any CPU ;) Obviously a few places were naughty and sold them early (I thought they were April 22 release?) and so other people have gotten them as well. Need more results from a wider range of people first. Perhaps they are made in a different factory and that could explain it? :shrug: The other thread has some 'G' batch #s which indicate some other factory than most previous Conroes.

Hmmm.. I got my E6420 from a retailer like many people on this forum did, it's most certainly not a ES or a "cherry picked" core. :shrug:

But I see this discussion as pretty moot, I may just give my E6600 to a friend of mine to use for a fishing weight. :p I know one thing, if I can afford a x3210 I'll get one in a few weeks and if I can't I'll get another E6420.

Gautam said:
I think its probably some minor fab change that will very soon trickle into the rest of the line...just my hunch.

I think it's because of the different factory, if there's anything to it at all. Someone posted a breakdown of the batch # and iirc the second letter after the week denotes the plant of origin. In our other thread here everyone's 6x20 was 'G' in that place. If you can find the thread where the batch numbers are broken down that could be interesting. I definitely agree these are the what people wanted the e4300 to be. Sort of makes me sad I just didn't wait because I really haven't gotten a hge amount of use out of my system with all the hardware swaps I've done but that always happens in our hobby :p

The little I've seen have some oddball results though. Highest VID but low temps, sort of like the best of the previous batches.

MadMan007 said:
The little I've seen have some oddball results though. Highest VID but low temps, sort of like the best of the previous batches.

I've had 4 CPU's and all of them had the 1.325V VID. 2 out of them had high temps, the others where 10C cooler. So getting one that runs warm in my experiance is a 50/50 shot.

Back